[no subject]

To: MMM <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
From: David Stansbie <David.Stansbie@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 10:12:47 +0100
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
I took my J2 to the Le Puy Retro Grand Prix in July for its
first 'race' after a long restoration. It went very well
but didn't stop! I now intend to supercharge it over the
winter and want to improve the brakes. At the moment they
are 8 inch with original drums and backplates but new
cables and shoes. There is no oil on the shoes and they
have had a 1000 miles to bed in and I guess are as good as
they will ever be. What is the best stategy. Go to 12 inch
brakes or stick with the 8 inch but fit new alfin type
drums? I've had conflicting advice. Some say 12 inch brakes
from a P type will transform the braking others say that
both 12 and 8 inch are not really much different and I
should just accept the standards of 70 years ago. Mike
Hawke says that the 12 inch conversion will add a lot of
weight to the car.
Advice would be appreciated from anyone who has experience
of this.

David Stansbie
David.Stansbie@bristol.ac.uk