RE: J2 colors-Reply-Long

To: "mg-mmm" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>, "Nicola Parolin" <nip@mrimooresrowland.mc>
Subject: RE: J2 colors-Reply-Long
From: "Scotty" <scotty@dove.net.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 12:58:48 +0930
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net

On Tuesday, October 17, Nicola wrote

>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<
I'm planning to restore my J2 (2224).
I had no a proper list of the colors produced for the period regarding my
J2.

Welcome to the list.  J2 # 2224 was built on the 24 September 1932, one of
nine cars built on that day. Colors available at the time were [As published
in a 1932 sales brochure]

The standard exterior finish is:
Black with a choice of apple green, tudor brown, deep red, cerulean blue, or
suede grey leather upholstery.

Hoods on the open models are finished in black rubberised twill.

Wheels are cellulosed to match the leather, except with tudor brown
upholstery, when the wheels are in cream.

The following standard range of duotone colours provide extremly pleasing
two shade effects.

Dublin green/Ulster green.  Cambridge Blue/Oxford Blue.
Brooklands grey/Abingdon Grey.   Old Ivory/Light Fawn.
Saratoga Red/Carmmine Red.   White/Ebony Black.

In the case of the Duotone finishes on the open models, the body fairings
and wheels will be in the lighter shade, the wings in the darker shade, and
the upholstery in the standard leather to tone with the external finish,
except in the case of the Light Fawn and Old Ivory Duotone finish, when
upholstery is in brown, and with Ebony Black and White any standard
upholstery colour will be used.

Any deviation from the standard combination of exterior and interior colours
entails an extra charge of Two pounds ten shillings, and any exterior colour
other than those stated, entails an additional charge of Four pounds ten
shillings.

Deviation from any one of the five standard leathers entails an extra charge
of Five Pounds five Shillings.

[*An additional observatiion here-from me.]
* Can I just add here that the factory bought paint in two hundred gallon
lots and there was quite a difference in colour between paint lots. So two
cars from the factory,  might be different shades of the same color/colors
even when new.

As you can see, for the additional charge of Four Pounds Ten shillings you
could have any exterior color that you wanted.

So what I did was find a pleasing combination of colors and an interior to
match in duo green, which is pleasing to my eye and is what I could have
done when, the car was new. Long before I was born of course. YMMV.

Regards,

Scotty,
Adelaide,Auatralia.
'33 MG-J2 #4330  restoration project.