Re: [Land-speed] Putting a #2H fine point on Jo Codding'spin

To: 'land-speed-digest' <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Putting a #2H fine point on Jo Codding'spin
From: <ifixmgs@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 20:59:58 -0400
I agree that  had the car simply swapped ends, even after backing  off the
throttle,   with the brake handle hauled tight at speed,  the leading shoes
would be on the wrong side of the drums to be effective -   most of us have
re-positioned reversed shoe sets over the years to  "magically" restore
braking power...

With the throttle lifted,   in  neutral and/or  clutch  engaged, I would think
that the CoF between salt and tires is low enough to lock them up  until it
swaps ends back to nose first,  reloading  the shoes hard against the drums
(providing the lever is hauled tight).  Theres a good chance that a hard tug on
the brakes would induce a Hollywood spin regardless of which end is pointing
wherever...

I'd also speculate that once the wheels were  locked up, with all excess slack
out of the cable, when  the tail points in the direction of forward travel
again,  the force  holding the shoes locked will outweigh  the negative torque
against  the shoe set.     In the last few frames right after the timing tower
pass, the car swapped ends one last time right  after the tires squeal (for the
first time) and it looks like the brakes were set.