Ahhh the Milling machine.. LOL

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ahhh the Milling machine.. LOL
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 07:09:31 -0600
Well 2-4 weeks later the poor little old Bridgeport finally runs... but not
without some lessons...  ( seems all of life is full of these lesson things )

#1 Way oil comes from Mobil... Vactra #2 way oil... ( MSC folks actually
worked hard at teaching me the right stuff for the right place... as well as
Dave and Doug )

#2 Spindle Oil isn't the same as Way Oil... Mobil Medium machine oil...( MSC
again )

#3 Hold downs...( clamps ) again MSC... BUT the most expensive set they have
made in USA and everything is just as cheap as a junk set of Chinise...( who
cares how they spell it )  I had to clean out the slots on the table and used
one of the bolts with a brass hammer... and it trashed the threads on the
brand new black bolt.... ( guess they aren't very hardened are they )

#4 Rotary phase converter ( Anderson Converters )...  3X the HP of the
Motor... if you use a static converter you lose one leg of the 3 phase
motor... which is tiny to begin with on mine.

#5  Wiring in the whole deal will cost as much as the Milling machine.

#6  Oiling systems would be MUCH better then trying to figure out where to buy
a real oil gun...  ( I ended up making a fitting for a oil pump can that has a
grease zert coupler ) ( first project on the Mill.

#7  End of the day.... you end up with a fancy Drill press!

Keith ( if none of you have gone to the www.practicalmachinist.com site I'd
strongly recommend it ) ( they have cool pictures and stuff...and most of them
can Spell even )