Daytona 24 gears

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Daytona 24 gears
From: tom sarda <sardatech@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 04:22:30 -0800 (PST)
List,

Thanks for the responses. Here's the racing deal. I
have taken your input and coupled with a few phone
calls the consensus is that the Gleason-Torsen type
(Detroit tru-Trax) or, worm gear differential is the
proper application. I found myself just plain locked
up when I was told the carrier was aluminum. Dave was
on target I think when he asked, "What were they
thinking?".
(Anyway, In the early eighties, Paul Newman campaigned
a road race Nissan with the Gleason-Torsen diff and
was successful.)
 Now I'm in conversations with all type of race people
and race shops concerning lubricants. I'm hearing the
petroleum base rather than synthetic "is all you
need". The synthetics can put a glaze on surfaces of
gears where load occurs. Any thoughts? Is the glaze a
bad thing?
Thanks for your time.
 Tom