John Beckett

To: <land-speed-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: John Beckett
From: "The Weldons" <2weldons@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:55:45 -0700
I didn't know John Beckett and was only vaguely aware of him before last
Sunday.  When I heard of his accident at the Salt Talks and listened to Scott
Guthrie speak of him I felt the sorrow at losing a fellow racer that we all
feel in the face of such a tragedy.  In the last few days I've reflected some
on what John meant to all land speed racers, not just the East Coast folks.
Forgive me if in my ignorance I miss some important facts or someone else's
important contribution.

John left a legacy that is incredibly important to all LSR types, especially
us westerners.  He was a major driver behind the development of the East Coast
timing Association and the Maxton Monster Mile.  He helped prove through his
efforts that it is indeed possible to establish and sustain a new land speed
racing venue in the USA without a half century of tradition to support it.

We El Mirage and Bonneville racers have been spoiled in some sense.  We've
always had these places and have this feeling of permanence about them.  Sure
we're affected by the Bonneville salt mining, unpredictable weather and the
encroachment of civilization on El Mirage.  But the events run on schedule
almost every year.  It's not until you talk to some of the SCTA/BNI leaders
that you realize that it takes only a bad turn of public opinion, politics or
"progress" to leave us with nowhere to run.  Then what do we do?

John Beckett's work proved to us that it is indeed possible to start up and
build a successful LSR operation from a "green field".

Thanks, John.  We all owe you.....

Ed Weldon