9" Ford (1350 Yoke)

To: "land-speed submit" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: 9" Ford (1350 Yoke)
From: "3liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 00:09:33 -0700
Listers:

I received the following from the dealer. I mentioned to him the yokes he
sent would bind and not go on after only about 1/4" of travel.  On a circle
tack car, with on-off throttle so consistent, it makes a lot of sense to
have a tight fit as the nut torque could not be relied upon solely to

secure the splined joint. Let me know if you have heartburn with the
following scenario. Due to his explanation I  may keep the yokes.  They are
Spicer and appear to be very high quality forgings and machining. Also, one
had a small scratch on the seal surface and they didn't hesitate to send me
a new yoke and a UPS label for return shipping. They even gave me some free,
hardened nuts for my trouble. Their business practices appear to be
forthright and reputable. -Elon

>From the dealer:  "The nine inch Ford has been notorious for the pinion nut
to back off and the splines loosen up. These yokes do fit tight , and by all
rights no pinion yoke of any kind should just fall on. If  you are dry
fitting this yoke we like to use a bit of anti- seize on the splines to keep
from gawling. We set our nose cones up in a press and when adjusting preload
with a crush sleeve or with a solid spacer. I don't like to pull them on
with the nut unless I have half of the threads on the nut being used and
anti-seize on the threads, be sure to use an old nut (go slow and pause
after a few threads). You can work it on and off a few times and you will
when setting preload. Use the nuts I am sending you they are special
hardened nut and only once! make sure you clean off the threads for the last
torque with a dab of red threadlocker. Hope this helps!"