Re: Metallurgy (was Chrome Moly steel vs. Stainless steel)

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Metallurgy (was Chrome Moly steel vs. Stainless steel)
From: "Jim Dincau" <jdincau@qnet.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 18:09:29 -0700
Mike,
     It depends on the steel in question and the end result desired.
Steels can be air, oil or water hardening. There is also a tempering
(re heating to a lower than quench temperature and slow cooling)
process to achieve the grain structure required. Each alloy will have
a different process depending on it make up. It can get very technical
when the results are critical.
Jim in Palmdale

> I don't claim to know a whole lot ABOUT metal, only what works for me.
> Quenching was mentioned and I have heard of water quenching and oil
quenching and
> what I was wondering is what type of oil is used for this and is there any
> particular procedure followed for quenching using either water or oil.
Just