RE: Shelly Howard aftermath

To: <Flowbench@aol.com>, <hoxiepoo@cox.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Shelly Howard aftermath
From: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 15:51:34 -0400
Everyone that either gets into a race car or goes to a race has to be aware
of what can and does happen at times. It is no different than sky diving.
scuba diving or any other extreme sport. I don't mention this to be callous
or crude, but it is a fact. if everything was perfectly safe all the time it
would be no more than an amusement park ride. If I am crewing a car and the
driver is oblivious as to the consequences of a bad set of circumstances
then I walk from the whole thing.
Shelly knew what could happen on a bad day despite the best efforts of all
around her. I say that as she was a pro or semi-pro driver. If she did not
know she had no business in the car same goes for the crew. I could use Joe
Amo as an example not because he is a friend but because he has logged a ton
of hours in an ER. He has seen what can happen at highway speeds if you have
a bad turn of events. Do you suppose he has no clue as to what might happen
if he has a bad day at 245 mph?? If anyone driving any type of racecar or
bike has no appreciation for this, do the world a favor and get out now
while all is ok. This does not make Shelly's accident a tragic event but
everything has to be put in perspective.
Dave