RE: Dzus Spacing

To: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>,
Subject: RE: Dzus Spacing
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:40:11 -0600
John;

One more thing-- if one is using a lower- strength aluminum alloy (for
formability, that's what was available, or whatever) then Dave's point
is well taken. Fasteners in thin sheets are frequently strengthened by
the use of "doubler plates" which are nothing more than using two
thicknesses in the area of the fasteners. The extra thickness can be
riveted or bonded in place.

Extra stiffness can be achieved by bending the doubler plate's inner
edge up 90 degrees to form a "longeron" stiffener. In that case, you'd
probably want to put the doubler plate on the inside of the panel.

Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ