RE: Dzus Spacing

To: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>,
Subject: RE: Dzus Spacing
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:32:22 -0600
Dave;

Yes, the strength of aluminum alloys is quite different but their
"stiffness" (bending modulus) is very similar.

It is hard to say what the maximum spacing should be; it depends on the
load and on the panel shape. If it is a flat panel there should probably
be less spacing than on one with shape like a compound curve. Also, if
that panel is near the nose where there is high air velocity and high
aero loads, you definitely want it to stay down.

A small right- angle or "Z" shaped stiffener can help keep the panel
flat without resorting to an excessive number of fasteners.

Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ