chute loads v/s time

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: chute loads v/s time
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 13:26:43 -0500
During the test time for the ParaMonitor, (cool name huh?) one of the chute
manufacturers maintained there was a "spike" of load that destroyed chutes.
the engineer and I that developed my system discussed this for a long time,
and came to the conclusion that the nylon system could not support such a
spike, by this we mean that the chute system could not react that quickly,
porosity of material, the ability of the material to stretch, (there were
several technical engineering terms he used, that I have forgotten, not
being an engineer) describing the interplay of forces, materials,
construction, time and loads, that brought him to the conclusion that the
system could not spike in the manner described by the chute manuf. I think
the LSR chutes fail due to incorrect size, and incorrect mounting.

           John Robinson, Mechanician
   Mechanical Engineering University of Wisconsin
                 1513 University Ave.
                  Madison, Wi. 53706
                     608-262-3606
            Current World Land Speed Record Holder
                  Bonneville Salt Flats
           H/GCC 92 cu.in. 1980 Dodge Colt
                  144.396 MPH set 2000
       MPS-PG 441 c.c. 1967 BSA Victor Motorcycle
                     95.193 MPH set 2001
                 Antarctic Ice Driller Oct02-Jan03