RE: Working on Stuff

To: "'John Beckett'" <saltracer@servusa.com>, Keith Turk
Subject: RE: Working on Stuff
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:55:21 -0600
John, Keith;

I've had good success using the original Rustoleum-- the brown spray paint
that takes forever to dry, not their newer stuff. Another good coating for
steel is one called "Cold Galvanize", a zinc- rich spray paint. When
scratched through to the base metal, it acts as a sacrificial anode to
protect the underlying steel.

I'm not as much of a fan of powder coating as I once was. I've been seeing
quite a few chassis that have fine cracks in the powder coating. The cracks
then wick moisture into the base metal and then the cracks become outlined
with ugly rust stains. Maybe powder coatings that are less brittle (if there
are any) would prevent that problem.

One disadvantage of powder coatings have is that it isn't easy to cut or
weld a chassis or a part without screwing up the coating. It's easy to
touchup a coat of paint but not so easy with a powder coating.

Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ