RE: Oil restrictors in a SBC, help

To: "'Richard Kensicki'" <richk@spartajunction.com>,
Subject: RE: Oil restrictors in a SBC, help
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 10:03:40 -0600
Rich;

A stock SBC does not use OEM oil restrictors. They are used only for
short-term use (i.e., drag racing) with mechanical roller cams & roller
rockers. The idea is to reduce the amount of oil to the top end and the
resulting drain back over the crank, rods, etc.

For most applications-- including rollers-- you do not want to restrict the
oil flow. Even roller setups need lots of oil, not to lubricate, but to cool
the valve springs. Restrict the oil to a roller motor and it's a killer in
endurance racing.

The subject is controversial, though-- this is my take on restricting oil
flow.

Regards, Neil    Tucson, AZ