Re: World Highway Land Speed Record

To: "Ed Van Scoy" <ed@vetteracing.com>
Subject: Re: World Highway Land Speed Record
From: "bennevl" <bennevl@netzero.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 21:52:04 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed Van Scoy" <ed@vetteracing.com>
To: "bennevl" <bennevl@netzero.net>
Cc: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2003 7:26 PM

> Bill;
>
> Well, now you are getting into my old ballpark (so to speak)
> Notice this record is "Highway" land speed record. We are
> talking Open Road racing here. This "record" was started
> several years
> ago by Roger Ward, and is now continued by Mike Borders ( MKM
> Racing Productions) They put on 4 races a year, one of them
> being the Bonneville 100, usually in June. It starts on Hwy
> 93A outside

According to the ad the record actually dates farther back to 1937 when Bern
Rosemeyer set a record of 257 mph on the Autobahn and was then broken
January 28, 1938 by Rudolf Caracciola with a speed of 268.7 mph. Rosenmeyer
was killed that same date in an accident at over 275 mph.

Pork Pie I know you have a vast knowledge and information in hand on this
record so if my facts are incorrect please correct me.

Bill