RE: Fuel Tank rust Question

To: "'RACE427@aol.com'" <RACE427@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: Fuel Tank rust Question
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:43:23 -0500
Tony;

Naval Jelly is an acid-based gel. It works pretty well but getting it all
over the inside of a small fuel tank isn't practical since it isn't a liquid
and doesn't "flow". Hydrochloric acid is widely available as a concrete
cleaner or "pool acid" and it should work OK. Pour some in the tank, cap it
and slosh it around for a while. Wear rubber gloves and eye protection-- the
SCTA won't allow seeing-eye dogs as passengers.

Do this a few times and then rinse the tank thoroughly twice. Do it a third
time and pour a whole box of baking soda into the tank with the water to
neutralize any remaining acid.

After cleaning the tank, I'd coat the inside of the clean tank with
"slushing compound" to prevent any further rust and to trap any loose
particles that might break loose and get into the fuel. You can get it from
Aircraft Spruce or other A/C supply houses.

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ