Re: One More soapbox

To: "Glenn Ridlen" <gridlen@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: One More soapbox
From: "Ron Gibson" <rgg14@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 21:54:33 -0500
 I volunteered for a Mayo Clinic study that was advertised on the radio.  It
included a colonoscopy work up and was done here in Omaha.  My insurance
company was billed, but since they considered the test as "preventative"
rather than "diagnostic" they only paid about $150. Since it was a study,
the rest of the charges were picked up by Mayo. Cost to me, 0. Found 1 small
non serious polyp which they removed. You guys might check around for
similar studys if you"re interested. It saved me a ton of bucks and gave me
some peace of what little mind that I have left.

Ron     Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

> By the same token, if your 40+ and certianly by 50 get a colinoscopy. I
had one done this summer. I had 3 polips,2 of which were the type that would
have been cancer if left long enough. They told me there is approx,a 10 yr.
window from when a polip starts to form til you have cancer. So with testing
there is absolutely no reason for anyone in this day and time to die of
colin cancer (my grandfather and uncle both did). Do not get the partial
test...insist on the full monty. If you have health insurance at work, do it
before you retire or cobra your policy. The proceedure is rather expensive.

Glenn