USAF Speed Record Claimed

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: USAF Speed Record Claimed
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 15:48:58 -0400
Nope guys......... this one wouldn't have got the FIA out of Europe!

No driver to pay the bills......no wheels and no steering and it did bot
come back down the course.

Rail records are not sanctioned by FIA or the UK's MSA - I did ask many
years ago for my rocket car.  We have a number of stretches of disused
railway lines over here.  But of course the FIA and FIM do time thrust
powered LSR vehicles.....with any number of motors.....

But I have been wondering how they timed it at Mach 8.5..............maybe
they got Hal Needham of Budweiser Rocket 'car' fame to do that?

Story shows how the USAF press folk can move from a railed vehicle record
to LSR in a few lines of text..........not that they care when they are
spending your (US racers) tax dollars - all $20 million of them (LOL).

Now if they allowed Breedlove or Shadle to test their cars out at scale on
this facility (at a slower speed) there might be competition for the 'real'
outright LSR speed record held by the Brits and sanctioned by the FIA.

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.