Re: Dry sump

To: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>,
Subject: Re: Dry sump
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 18:16:19 -0800
Dave, maybe not, see below..

> I have no idea what it takes to run a dry sump pump vs. an internal pump.
I buy
> them from weaver and consider it the price of keeping the bearings happy..
> would suspect it takes several foot lbs to turn from my experience priming
and
> engine that has on though. By the same token if it takes 3 hp to turn one.
then
> you need a 3 hp dc electric motor to turn it with enough current capacity
to run
> the pump full power for at least 5 minutes..

Dave, that is the point of the electric drive. The engine driven pump is
wasting a lot of power because it has to bypass oil because of it's fixed
displacement. So while it draws 3 hp (I think more but don't know for sure)
during the high speed run. maybe 2 hp of that three wasted in bypassed oil.
I think ytoiu would need a 1 hp one...

Now I still wouldn't use an electric one...

 mayf, ever mudding the waters (my speciality)