Cryogenics

To: Paul Bland <paul.blandavon@btinternet.com>,
Subject: Cryogenics
From: Rick Byrnes <Rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 12:31:14 -0500
I have no scientific data that it works but did use cryo on the latest tall
deck 2.3Litre block I used for the N/A motor.  The virgin block was shipped
to OKC and went thru a process of -300 to +300 to ambient in a very
controlled cycle.  I do not believe that this made the material stronger,
but rather provided a good stress reliever of the entire structure.  I asked
the machinist to pay particular attention to how the metal cuts, chips and
curls, after the process.  He reported no difference from a normal 2.3L
part. The iron was not harder.  We didn't measure hardness, but it seemed
unimportant at the time.  Since the N/A motor has significantly less power
than the turbo, the block is not overstressed by any means.
Prior to doing this I had some rather lengthily discussions with
metallurgists and their consensus was that it should not permanently change
the nature of the alloy, but serve as a stress reliever.
Did it help? Don't know?
Did it hurt? NO!
Did I waste my money? Maybe.  Maybe not.
I do know that Roush has used cryo on engine parts, and they have some
people a lot smarter than me.
On the other hand, we can all be sucked in by PFM.

Regards to all
Now back to the garage

Rick