Re: Mexican food comments ...

To: "Clay, Dale" <Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com>,
Subject: Re: Mexican food comments ...
From: W S Potter <wester6935@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 08:38:43 -0800
I proudly raised quite a crop of Jalapeno peppers one year.  They all
matured at once.  We decided to freeze the bumper crop.  I cut them in half
and scraped the seeds out with my thumbnail... it was a week before my right
thumb quit burning.  No sympathy from my wife however, she was wearing
rubber gloves to put them in freezer bags.

I used everything I could think of to soothe the burning.  My fingers
recovered in a day or two and I was glad I was wearing glasses.  Just the
juice was burning my hands where it sprayed on them.

My most vivid memory of hot peppers is from an experience when I was on a
church mission.  Joy Pierce was from Sho Lo, Arizona.  His mother sent him a
care package of tortillas, beans, sauces and chili's so he could prepare a
real Arizona chili for the six of us who were in Sioux Falls, SD.  We went
to the church basement where there was a decent kitchen to prepare the
feast.  We watched in awe as he tossed back the various dried hot chilies
while preparing the meal.  When he was ready to serve the appetizers he made
tacos and suggested toppings.  Pete Black got brave and tried one little,
round chili pepper that Joy had avoided while he was cooking.  Two glasses
of milk and a slice of bread later he was able to groan "How can something
so tiny be so hot?"  We were in tears from laughing at his plight but I
noticed that not one of those little fireballs ever made it into anything
that was cooked that day.  I have no idea what they were but I'll bet they
stayed in that little envelope for a long time.  Pete ate bland foods for
several days and claimed that there were blisters inside his mouth and on
his tongue.

I've learned!  I cut the heat on my chili!  That way I can taste it while
I'm eating it.

Wes