Re: shop lighting

To: "'Doug Odom'" <popms@thegrid.net>,
Subject: Re: shop lighting
From: Michael Siewert <mdsiewer@ucalgary.ca>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 15:25:48 -0600
Doug, I'm no lighting expert, but it sounds to me that you should be
short on light. My shop is 24 by 30, 10 foot walls and I run 12 4 foot
flourescents fixtures (2 tubes each).

The shop I'm sitting in here at work is 25 by 40, 12 foot ceiling, and
just went through an "energy retrofit" last year. Looking up I count
28 four foot dual tube flourescent fixtures!

We complained alot about lack of light right after the retrofit, we
didn't get more fixtures but did get a tube change. Flourescent tubes
come in a variety of lighting spectrums, warm, cold daylight etc.
These different tubes emit light at differing wavelenghts, "color
temperatures". Changing tubes can help in minor ways, reducing glare,
eye strain etc, but are not the solution to an over all lack of light.

mike

--
Michael D. Siewert
Technical Support Group, Department of Chemistry