Re: What's up?

To: kturk@ala.net (Keith Turk), land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What's up?
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 15:25:48 -0400 (EDT)
Working along on my blown gas Ardun project.  My speedshop pal has my
spare late block for the necessary Ardun work, decking, boring to
3-5/16, steel center cap, regrinding the 4" Merc crank, reconditioning
the big-ends of a set of NOS 29A full-floating conrods.  In the meantime
I designed a holder for one thermostat, receiving the flow from two 5/8
hoses now instead of one thermostat per head.  My machinist pal executed
the thermostat from my drawings, after I got a chunk of 2-1/2 x 1-1/2
6061 aluminum tubing from MBM which enabled the manufacture of the thing
in two screw-together pieces that clamp the flange of the thermostat,
with no welding.  The two hose fittings are made from bars of 11/16
brass drilled about .470 with a 5/8 NF thread, the upstream end of it is
also drilled and tapped 1/8 NPT for the temp sensor.  The same brass
fittings will be used on the blower manifold head plates to take the
return coolant flow from the Ardun heads.

The blower manifold is Dave(the Hayseed) Thomssen's design, modified to
suit a 4-71 instead of the 6-71 he uses.  It is a built-up design, no
welding(always good to avoid welding when you can to keep away from the
inherent distortion), held together by various fasteners and sealed by
various devious means, o-rings, o-ring rope, 1/64 fiber gasket material
from NAPA, blue goo, etc.  I got all the various 6061 plates needed from
MBM.  The advantage of Dave's design is it's only 3" high from top to
bottom, so the manifold, blower and a Hilborn 4-71 injector will all go
under the stock '32 Ford hood with at least 5 inches of air space left.

At the moment I'm putting my Junior High drafting class training to
work, making the drawings from which my machinist pal will do the work
to turn these pieces of plate into a Hayseed Ardun blower manifold.

Ardun Bill