Reynolds Numbers

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Reynolds Numbers
From: Elon Ormsby <ormsby1@llnl.gov>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 13:10:18 -0800
James Waldron I think your answer is correct but by indicating drag is the
"cube" of speed might not precisely define the problem.  Isn't drag the
square of the speed but power required is the cube of the speed? I think
the additional exponent is for acceleration and power is need for that as
well as overcoming drag.  I mention this here because many times the
significance for the "cube" of the power is lost. Many think the power
required is only to overcome drag (a squaring function) and it ain't so.  I
look forward to many more of your technically interesting contributions.
    -Elon