Re: New Car Procedures

To: glen barrett <speedtimer@charter.net>
Subject: Re: New Car Procedures
From: "Bryan A. Savage Jr" <basavage@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 15:03:15 -0700
Glenn,
 back then, on the first pass of the meet Streamliners had to shut off
by 3 and "show the laundry" (pull chute). It was a requirement.

I think it was '91 when three of the first dozen Streamliners in line
crashed. Ed, who was planning to make a checkout pass, pulled Danny Boy
out of line and went to find out what was going on. He later got back in
line. I don't remember his exact words but his comment was something like
fast cars, slow drivers.
I am not aware of anything at Bonneville that will prevent a driver with
a AA license from getting in a brand new car and going 300 MPH. I have
dealt with some very bright people who were several bricks short of a
full load of common sense. These things happen and I don't believe
legislation can correct that problem.
I believe the old check out pass had merit because it helped the driver focus
on the behavior of the car instead of going as fast as possible.

Just my -> opinion <- and... I've never driven at Bonneville.
(The push truck don't count)

Bryan

glen barrett wrote:

> Wasn't directed toward anyone. I just remember the early days with one
> course. Five hour wait to run,the two courses have helped with a shorter
> wait.
> Glen

///