RE: Air density and rolling resistance.

To: "'Bryan A. Savage Jr'" <basavage@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: Air density and rolling resistance.
From: "Clay, Dale" <Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 07:07:04 -0700
Thanks for that snippet, Bryan.  I'd seen pictures of the shock wave and
another of how it pulverized to soil, but I didn't think about the car
rolling through the "plowed field."  Interesting.

Dale C.

I was talking to one of the ThrustSSC people and he was convinced, as the
result of research at the British Museum where they have all of the LSR
cars,
that rolling resistance has always been underestimated. It was rolling
resistance that stopped their jet car. The supersonic shock wave off the
engine air intakes pulverized the dirt making the rolling resistance go
straight up and producing controllability problems for the driver.
The last two rides were not fun.
Bryan

entities other than the intended recipient or employees of
MD Helicopters, Inc. is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please
contact the sender by email and delete the material from any computer..

///