Re: Slugs

To: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Subject: Re: Slugs
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 13:00:08 -0500
Howdy,
          OK, I just don't get it, hot air means less HP. cool air more.
Even with a large surface area, how much less drag is there when the air
pressure goes from 4200 ft to 6500 ft. as it does when it gets
hotter?  conversely, doesn't the increase in HP for cooler air overcome the
extra drag? pick a car, say a camaro sized one, and show me....I ain't
seeing it in my minds eye.....gut says the cool air high HP overcomes the
drag....and I been wrong before, but I'd like to know....yeah I know about
the cube factor of drag, but still......somebody wanna edjukate me?

At 12:28 PM 6/27/01, you wrote:
>Don't know squat about salt wetness. But if air is denser then it takes a
>linear amount of horsepower to overcome the increased drag caused by it. Hot
>air is less dense, reduces lift and drag. Also hot air decreases HP. But for
>those on juice or pressurized and intercooled, then makes not much
>difference. So if those conditions are met, run at the hottest part of the
>day. For normal aspirated run at mid morning.
>
>And Keith, why does an educated college dude like yourself pretend to be
>dumb? You went to Emory Ridel or somewhere didn't you?
>
>mayf, the rednecked, very ignorant, desert rat, just ask anyone!

              John Robinson, Mechanician
   Mechanical Engineering University of Wisconsin
                 1513 University Ave.
                  Madison, Wi. 53706
                     608-262-3606
                   FAX 608-265-2316