Re: Old Hot Rod Magazine

To: Doug Anderson <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Old Hot Rod Magazine
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 09:20:44 -0700 (PDT)
I think I got a copy lined up.  Yah, I wanna get
a copy of the magazine itself, eventually.
Prolly find it at a swap meet or on EBay.

Funny, R&C was the very first magazine I bought
too.  It was about 1953 or 54, I was on a school
field trip to Old Sturbridge Village in
Massachusetts.  The school buses made a rest stop
at a small country grocery and dry goods store,
and all the boys flocked to the magazine racks,
where many of them snatched up nearly every issue
of Playboy.  I looked over their shoulders at the
pictures, but being a good twelve-year-old
Catholic boy, I knew I would be doing wrong if I
too bought one of those books, not to mention
what it would do to my poor mother.  So I bought
a copy of R&C, figuring that it was also a manly
thing to do, and the other guys wouldn't pick on
me.  That R&C started my "need for speed" boiling
a little, but I didn't really learn about
Bonneville until I got a whole box of car
magazines from a neighbor and it included the
Pierson Brothers coupe issue. Funny thing, I been
hooked on cars and speed ever since.  I sure have
learned a lot about cars since then.

Do you think that if I'd have bought that issue
of Playboy instead that I would know a lot about
women now????

Dick J