Ford Flatty Dimensions

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Ford Flatty Dimensions
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 14:33:03 EDT
Doug Anderson,
      I don't have your address in my book so I'll take a chance on getting a
few arguments and send the info I have over the wailing wall chatter-list.
      Keep in mind that these dimensions are pretty rough, done with a
yardstick for a straightedge and a tape measure.

1. Block Height..................10 3/4" on both the 59-A and the 8-BA

2. Oil pan height..............I have a truck pan for each model engine. Not
counting the drain plug on the 59-A the depth is 7 1/2". The 8-BA is a rear
sump model and the overall outside depth is 8".

3. The block length is 25 5/8" on the 59-A and 22 5/8" on the 8-BA.

4. Water pumps have a lot of variables. Some of the 8-BA's ran a separate
belt to each pump, with the generator and one pump sharing a belt and the fan
and the other pump sharing the other belt. Hayseed, correct me if I'm wrong.
Since the water pump mounting surfaces are not in the same plane on either
block, the 59-A pumps may be different on applications where a single belt
was used.
      The 59-A pumps I measured had a dimension of between 3 3/8" & 3 1/2"
from the mounting (block) surface to the end of the pulley. The 8-BA pumps I
measured varied between 4 1/4" & 4 7/8". I suspect that even though they all
will bolt onto the same surface, there are several variables depending on the
year and model application.

5. Regards the distance from the bell housing to the front of the tranny, on
the 59-A the tranny bolts directly to the block/bell housing , so the
dimension would be zero. On the 8-BA there is a 3" cast or stamped steel
(depending on the application) intermediate housing. Reference the difference
in block lengths listed in (3) above.

6. Hood lengths: My 28 Ford has a 28" hood as measured down the center hinge.
The overall distance between the rear of the radiator core and the upper
firewall/gas tank is 28 1/4"............................Ardun Doug

///