Re: Nitromethane

To: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Nitromethane
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 15:58:01 -0700
List,

As most of you know, I have been running Nitrous for a few years. I have
to say that it is the least expensive HP available today, if you use
your head, otherwise it can get expense real quick.

Several years ago I ran Nitro in my Chevy powered Roadster. In my
opinion, there is nothing like Nitro! We ran 33% on a 12.5 to 1 motor at
the 1/2 mile drags and at the Lakes with some success.  The increase in
torque, over gasoline, is unbelievable. I remember well a race at the
1/2 mile drags at Riverside. Jerry Kugel and I were running a Top
Eliminator race, Jerry had a gasoline powered 300 inch Ford in his
roadster with a four-speed transmission, I had 1/3rd Nitro in my
roadster, running two gears. We came off the line together and remained
side-by-side through his first three gears, when we hit high gear, he
faded fast. Our best time at the 1/2 mile was 167 MPH. We ran 190 at the
Lakes. this was in the early sixties.

Never did make it to the 2 mile at Bonneville with all the cylinders
working, but I  had some of my best rides in the first 1 1/2 miles,
though. I think much of our problem was that we couldn't deliver enough
fuel to the engine to run very long. Of course, I knew nothing about
running Nitro either, but it was still great fun.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC

Dick J wrote:

> You know, it's funny how everybody is so quick to
> bolt on a nitrous bottle.  Probably half the 5.0s
> at the traffic light have them.  But me, I really
> want to "tip the can" some day.  I have no real
> desire to put a bottle on the car, but I do hope
> I can hear it fire off on "nitro" some day. I've
> got all my eggs in that little Dodge basket.  241
> cubic inches, 8:1 compression ratio, zoomie
> pipes, lil'blower and nitro!  I figure that ought
> to be more of a thrill than a gentleman of my
> years should be entitled to.  tsk tsk tsk
>
> Dick J

///
///