Nitromethane

To: acromac@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Nitromethane
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 18:10:03 -0700
Bill,
I have searched for info on the manufacture of Nitromethane and came up
with the following.

 Definition:
Ni`tro*meth"ane (?), n. [Nitro- + methane.] (Chem.) A nitro derivative
of methane obtained as a mobile liquid; -- called also nitrocarbol.

METHANE:
Methane is synthesized commercially by the distillation of bituminous
coal and by heating a mixture of carbon and hydrogen. It can be produced
in the laboratory by heating sodium acetate with sodium hydroxide and by
the reaction of aluminum carbide (Al4C3) with water.

In the chemical industry, methane is a raw material for the manufacture
of methanol (CH3OH), formaldehyde (CH2O), nitromethane (CH3NO2),
chloroform (CH3Cl), carbon tetrachloride (CCl4), and some freons
(compounds containing carbon and fluorine, and perhaps chlorine and
hydrogen). The reactions of methane with chlorine and fluorine are
triggered by light. When exposed to bright visible light, mixtures of
methane with chlorine or fluorine react explosively.

If I come up with more info, I will post it.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC

///
///