Re: Data Loggers

To: Joe Amo <jkamo@rapidnet.com>
Subject: Re: Data Loggers
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 05:18:11 -0400
I personally think you are on the money Joe.. There is no
such thing as too much information when evaluating an
engines performance. And yes the alarms are a nice feature!
For unbelievable data acquisition and display you should see
the Motec dash unit.. coupled with an M48 ECU there is just
about nothing that can not be done in engine / car control
and data gathering including real time telemetry, track
mapping, traction control you name it.. Many bucks though..
The combo is worth about 30 k and yes I sell them if anyone
wants them..

I personally think at some point something got lost or mixed
up about doing things the old way (by the seat of your
pants) in setting up an engine or car!  Every one that I
know that tuned engines many years ago used everything that
was at their disposal to go faster.  The problem is there
was not much to use. From what i have seen this has turned
into some sort of religion whose holy grail is to do as much
as possible with little or nothing for information, sort of
a divine intuitive tune up. I am certain that those who
started all this would have used everything they could find
to learn what the engine wanted in a tune up if they had the
technology available at the time..

Wiring at Bonneville is not a problem at all if high quality
components are used and sound wiring practices are used with
the right materials.  You can't use Napa wire and exposed
connections. everything has to be sealed and you really need
mil spec wire that is a lot more money wise than the napa
stuff. but it is only more money the first time.

Dave Dahlgren

Joe Amo wrote:

> Another way to look at it might be:   1. reading holed pistons, and burnt
> electrodes
> as a means of tuning can be problematic  2.  a data logger can provide an
>output
> that lights an alarm indicator or shut off fuel if a dangerous reading is
>sensed,
>
> thereby allowing pistons and the rest of the motor to be spared so that a
> change can be made, more successful backup runs, and more opportunity
> to push the records higher, and you dont have to concern yourself with
> concentrating on
> gauges, just drive
>
> I know there used to be a time when tuning by experience from trial and error
> used to rule, and electronics and dynos were "not needed".   And personally
>can
> attest to making some speed and progress without any of it.  My thought is
>that
> not utilizing these things is like not using a cell phone when traveling, some
> emergency
> can be overted by having one
>
> Joe (let the flaming begin, remember I have a MOUNTAIN
> of respect for those "mature" folks that have gone fast with much less) Amo
>
> Marge and/or Dave Thomssen wrote:
>
> > Points being: 1.data loggers are very problematical in the salt environment
> > unless a foolproof way is devised to hermetically seal the unit, and 2. If
> > you're at the 2 and a half on the return run of a record run and your oil
> > pressure or temp gage shows abnormality, what are you going to do? You
> > better believe I'm going to worry about getting the record and worry about
> > my engine later.
> >
> > Dave the Hayseed

///
///