Re: Data Loggers

To: Marge and/or Dave Thomssen <mdthom@radiks.net>
Subject: Re: Data Loggers
From: Joe Amo <jkamo@rapidnet.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 12:25:13 -0600
Another way to look at it might be:   1. reading holed pistons, and burnt
electrodes
as a means of tuning can be problematic  2.  a data logger can provide an output
that lights an alarm indicator or shut off fuel if a dangerous reading is
sensed,

thereby allowing pistons and the rest of the motor to be spared so that a
change can be made, more successful backup runs, and more opportunity
to push the records higher, and you dont have to concern yourself with
concentrating on
gauges, just drive

I know there used to be a time when tuning by experience from trial and error
used to rule, and electronics and dynos were "not needed".   And personally can
attest to making some speed and progress without any of it.  My thought is that
not utilizing these things is like not using a cell phone when traveling, some
emergency
can be overted by having one

Joe (let the flaming begin, remember I have a MOUNTAIN
of respect for those "mature" folks that have gone fast with much less) Amo

Marge and/or Dave Thomssen wrote:

> Points being: 1.data loggers are very problematical in the salt environment
> unless a foolproof way is devised to hermetically seal the unit, and 2. If
> you're at the 2 and a half on the return run of a record run and your oil
> pressure or temp gage shows abnormality, what are you going to do? You
> better believe I'm going to worry about getting the record and worry about
> my engine later.
>
> Dave the Hayseed

///
///