Re: International Records

To: <Nt788@aol.com>, <kturk@ala.net>, <webmaster@landracing.com>
Subject: Re: International Records
From: "Mike Manghelli" <mmanghel@hughes.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 20:20:35 -0800
Ok, Time for my two cents...  I will try to keep it short and to the point.

First, the SCTA/BNI board has strong opinions about our position in the
world of LSR.  We want to do it with the highest of integrity.  Let's look
at a few of the points bantered about here.

1.    Records at Bonneville used to be earned over 3 passes. First was a
qualifying (anything over the existing record), second was first record pass
down direction, third was return run opposite direction.  You had as much
time to work on your car as it took to return the cars at the other end.

2.    Due to the number of entrants and long waits in lines the SCTA/BNI
board decided to remove the "qualifying run" and deemed that a pass over the
existing record was the "first pass of the record run".  The return run was
still in the opposite direction in accord with SCTA/BNI and international
(FIA) rules.

3.    Due to salt conditions and course layout the SCTA/BNI board has
decided it is unsafe for a competitor to make a return run at the dykes (it
was tried and some cars got very wet) and therefore has instituted a same
direction record for the last couple of years.  It is this board's desire
that as SOON as the course allows we WILL return to two way records!  Note:
for 2000 SCTA/BNI instituted a 4 hour time to work on the car, (ref I-7 page
9 2000 rule book).

4.    Distance of runs; To ensure the highest of integrity the SCTA/BNI will
only allow our records to run on two different courses, they are; Short
course, a two mile approach to one mile timed trap.  Long course a two mile
approach to 3, one mile timed traps.  The only exception exists for FIA and
BNI international records.  The BNI international record is established
under the exact same criteria as an FIA record.  The FIA does not stipulate
the length of approach to the timed mile and or Kilo trap (ref page 108
SCTA/BNI 200 rule book).

5.    Why BNI international records?  Competitors wanted a lower cost
alternate to being recognized than the FIA. (you have already been told
about the LSA, that was the whole purpose for that organization)  We
(SCTA/BNI) are providing that by following all FIA rules (including 1 hr
turn around) during the event and then recognizing them in our rule book.
So if you want the "extra" length of the course you must run FIA/BNI
international.  Does this cost extra? Only for course preparation, (last
year was going to be double the $360 entry fee).  Can I run my roadster on
the FIA/BNI international course?  NO.  Only streamliners and lakesters are
allowed on the extra long course.  Once again SCTA/BNI wants to uphold the
integrity of their records and will not allow a roadster or coupe the chance
to run on an extended course.  Even if they do not set a record, we do not
want to let Keith run a five mile approach to the timed mile and have the
"bragging rights" over some one else.  That is not fair, just like trying to
compare, Bonneville, El Mirage, Muroc and Maxton records.

6.    FIA/BNI international records are only available at the SCTA/BNI World
Finals.

7.    Another point of interest for the list:  The SCTA/BNI certifies
records established at the USFRA events.  There are representatives for both
motorcycle and car class at the event and certifications for the course and
clocks are provided to the SCTA/BNI.  This is just like we (the SCTA/BNI) do
for the FIA when they come to World Finals and certify FIA records.

Ok, so it was not short, but I think some of these points needed to be made.
Fire back your questions!

Mike Manghelli
SCTA President