International Records

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>, <ARDUNDOUG@aol.com>
Subject: International Records
From: "Nafzger" <nafzger@vtc.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:07:10 -0700
Doug,
I was mulling over your comments while eating and I must say I am somewhat
confused and humbled by you kind comments about my stature in Land Speed
Racing.
I have spent a lifetime as a "tinkerer" with cars and have never held a job
that requires me to do any more than drive one.
 I do feel however that differences in the course, density altitude, etc.
are just part of the moving target that make this sport such a challenge.
Conscious changes in the standards required to establish a record are
another thing altogether.  I understand why one way runs were established at
Bonneville. No one should be asked to risk the vehicle and maybe their life
just because of a standard. I'm just saying since the records were set with
a different standard of accomplishment, that should somehow be noted. A
simple comment like " Records set after xx/xx/xxxx were two runs in the same
direction because of safety concerns based on salt condition".
 If that didn't happen it wouldn't upset me. I'm just venting a frustration
I have. Lot's of good points have come out in this discussion. Maybe some of
them will bear fruit.

Howard

///
///