Re: Clarifying Wheeldriven Records

To: Jonathan Amo <webmaster@landracing.com>,
Subject: Re: Clarifying Wheeldriven Records
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 20:03:05 -0800
List,

This may all be rhetoric next summer when the Burkland's car gets out on the
salt again.  The 450 exit speed was after the fastest 2 1/4 trap time and
after Tom short shifted every gear change.  It depends on the salt surface.
With the wheels hooking up there's no telling how fast he will go.  The
sheet metal is ready to go back on the car and nothing mechanical is damaged
but all has been re-checked to be sure.

Wes

on 1/22/01 1:52 PM, Jonathan Amo at webmaster@landracing.com wrote:

> Thanks Malcolm for those words.
> but as to the UK Quicksilver project, I thought this was abonded and for sale?
>
> Jonathan Amo
> www.landracing.com
>

> Malcolm Pittwood wrote:
>
>> Ugo and List
>>
>> I hope that everyone grasps the concepts put forward so clearly by Ugo,
>> particularly about a 'record' that the FIA does not believe exists.  Of
>> course the reason for this is all down to our American friends who built
>> Jet Cars with pure thrust and eclipsed the Automobile Record and then
>> achieved a separate Jet Unlimited category (Special vehicles Category C)
>> from which the 'World Record' now comes.
>>
>> The only piece of advice I would give to simplify this whole 'problem' is
>> for the 1% improvement rule to be ignored when considering Summers vs
>> Teague.
>>
>> The FIA classification of special Automobiles is clear in  that these two
>> drivers and teams were competing in different classes (indeed different
>> groups and classes) of vehicles.  They were only able to set records that
>> improved on their class previous record speed by 1% (Art 229, 2).  Both did
>> this.  The FIA does not allow in its rules for comparing performances in
>> different groups and classes - WE do that as speed enthusiasts to applaud
>> the achievements of the 'fastest on earth'.  With NO NEED for any 1% rule,
>> the faster car (even if it had been just .001mph quicker) is the Worlds
>> Fastest Automobile competing under FIA International record rules.
>>
>> With records for the kilometre and the mile distances on the FIA books -
>> and again no method of saying which is the more meritorious - should we
>> accept that Al's 425 mph kilo average speed is what all wheeldriven cars
>> should be aiming for (and this is 16mph better than Bob Summers kilo class
>> record in Goldenrod)?
>>
>> When Don Vesco breaks Donald Campbell's FIA Turbine record (he only needs
>> to go 407mph to get that class record, but his SCTA Bonneville Speed is way
>> above that) at a speed faster than Al Teague's kilo at 425mph, he will
>> become the Internationally recognised Worlds Fastest Automobile driver.
>> When he does that, then from the UK Quicksilver 500 will be ready to
>> challenge him - head to head.
>>
>> Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.
>
> ///
> ///