Clarifying Wheeldriven Records

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clarifying Wheeldriven Records
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 16:34:23 -0500
Ugo and List

I hope that everyone grasps the concepts put forward so clearly by Ugo,
particularly about a 'record' that the FIA does not believe exists.  Of
course the reason for this is all down to our American friends who built
Jet Cars with pure thrust and eclipsed the Automobile Record and then
achieved a separate Jet Unlimited category (Special vehicles Category C)
from which the 'World Record' now comes.

The only piece of advice I would give to simplify this whole 'problem' is
for the 1% improvement rule to be ignored when considering Summers vs
Teague.

The FIA classification of special Automobiles is clear in  that these two
drivers and teams were competing in different classes (indeed different
groups and classes) of vehicles.  They were only able to set records that
improved on their class previous record speed by 1% (Art 229, 2).  Both did
this.  The FIA does not allow in its rules for comparing performances in
different groups and classes - WE do that as speed enthusiasts to applaud
the achievements of the 'fastest on earth'.  With NO NEED for any 1% rule,
the faster car (even if it had been just .001mph quicker) is the Worlds
Fastest Automobile competing under FIA International record rules.

With records for the kilometre and the mile distances on the FIA books -
and again no method of saying which is the more meritorious - should we
accept that Al's 425 mph kilo average speed is what all wheeldriven cars
should be aiming for (and this is 16mph better than Bob Summers kilo class
record in Goldenrod)?

When Don Vesco breaks Donald Campbell's FIA Turbine record (he only needs
to go 407mph to get that class record, but his SCTA Bonneville Speed is way
above that) at a speed faster than Al Teague's kilo at 425mph, he will
become the Internationally recognised Worlds Fastest Automobile driver.
When he does that, then from the UK Quicksilver 500 will be ready to
challenge him - head to head.

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England.

///
///