Re: block filler

To: <LGMCAFEE@aol.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: block filler
From: "John Linville" <bellytk@nh.ultranet.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 15:23:40 -0500
Guess my only suggestion would be ensure the coefficient of expansion is
correct for the service on any filler.  I'll relate a sad story.  Fellow
here in New Hampshire wanted to build a huge flathead.  He bought an
expensive 4 1/2" stroker, bored the motor to 3 1/2" using wet sleeves.
Bought Ross pistons and Kong heads.  Decided he would dry block the motor.
Did his own research (bad mistake) and ended up with a aluminum Devcon
product.  I was there the Wed night at New England Dragway  to do the push
truck bit when he fired the rail up and tried to make a pass.  As he
proceeded down the track the car went slower and slower.  A post-mortem
showed the filler had expanded too much, squeezing the cylinder walls
causing the pistons to melt at the ring grooves.  Took about 30 seconds to
ruin a lot of expensive equipment.  He has sold the crank, rods, heads, cam
which were okay to a fellow out on Cape Cod.  He will try for a slightly
smaller engine, less bore I believe and also put it in a front engine
dragster.  Be interesting to see it run.

regards, John (NH) where we are expecting more snow

and my dormer roof is leaking now with the 20" piled on it!