Electric Bikes

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Electric Bikes
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 08:39:52 -0500
Keith and the list,

I must be in a good mood today - couldn't even find something in purple to
launch in Keith's direction after his ps on the FIA.  Keith got it right
with 'Henry for the Committee' - a committee of one is the most effective!!

The FIM would be the only International body to be concerned with
'scooters' and ALL of their records are World Records.  (The FIA would have
no part in the 2 wheeled world).

The electric bike rules in the FIM do not allow for changes in batteries,
just recharging after each run.  As you have 2 hours in which to complete
an attempt (but few parts can be changed), that should not be a problem.
Was not aware of the upper limit on weight until I checked the UK rule book
- A1 - 250kg, A2 - 500kg and A3 750kg.  With modern materials a 750kg (1650
lb) all up weight should still pack a lot of batteries and speed
potential!!

When I worked with the electric Blubird car here in the UK the weight was
checked at the venue using certified 'corner weight' cerytified electronic
scales - another cost for the team to pay.  This was to ensure that we
would not enter an over 1000kg car in the 500 to 1000kg class.   Why should
weight check be a problem?  When the turbine and electric cars are
scrutineered (inspected) at Bonneville they present their own weight
'ticket'.

If there are any FIM rules that require clarification I found the Technical
Commission people were prepared to listen in 1998/9, when Richard Brown and
I got acceptance of the rockets and the towing of streamliners in revised
rules adopted by August 1999.

The UK electric record for 'scooters' is 89.95 mph in J A1 (two way
average, 1 hour turn around).
The FIM fastest is I think 115.266 mph in J A2.  With A1 at 102.214 mph  (2
way, 2 hour)

Henry - I would suggest eventually that you build an FIM streamliner, as
you can tow to a stable speed, which for an electric bike would save some
of the battery energy allowing for a faster run.  (Just my idea based on
the rules available).  Good speed with whatever you build and get accepted
by SCTA.

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby England  (where the sun is shining).
Member of Team Maximum Impulse - Rocket Bike - Fastest Speed on two wheels,
Bonneville 1999 333mph (kilo).