Re: Interview& fuels

To: wspotter@jps.net, ercracingfuels@mindspring.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Interview& fuels
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 11:44:20 EST
In a message dated 11/04/1999 7:21:36 AM Pacific Standard Time,

<<
 Date:  11/04/1999 7:21:36 AM Pacific Standard Time
 From:  wspotter@jps.net (Wester S Potter)
 Sender:    owner-land-speed@autox.team.net
 To:    TIMNEYJJ@sterlingdi.com (Joseph Timney)
 CC:    land-speed@autox.team.net (land-speed@autox.team.net
land-speed@autox.team.net)

 One thing is missing from all of these comments, that being the fact that
 the fuel is at the meet at all.  ERC has supplied fuel for salt flats meets
 for many years.  The profitability of hauling fuel 800 miles one way, paying
 for housing, labor, hauling an adequate supply of all kinds of fuels, runs
 to the nearest supplier, 140 miles one way, for methanol when everyone uses
 more than expected, can't be great.  The back breaking labor of getting the
 fuel trailer off the salt after a rainstorm and the cost of the wrecker to
 get it out are other things the racers usually don't see.  From a sponsors
 perspective, we are fortunate to have people like Rick and the rest at ERC.
 One call solves lots of problems.  From a racers standpoint, the fact that
 they have the information on the fuels that ERC gives and the consistency of
 quality they assure has to be an incredible benefit.  With the many ways to
 cheat, having ERC there just helps to level the playing field.  Not a
 perfect world but a whole bunch better than what has happened in the past
 with other suppliers.
 Wes
 ---------- >>
Amen Wes,
    Fortunately I live 10 minutes from the ERC shop and Rick and Jay are
personal friends of mine. While I rarely run in a gas class, I admire and
appreciate the efforts these two men expend in behalf of the racers. Their
financial return compared with the dollars and hours expended to service the
average meet is miniscule.
    True, at a successful August SCTA/BNI Speed Week they will come out OK if
the Tee Shirt sales are brisk, the turnout (especially spectators) is good,
and Mother Nature behaves herself.
    ERC, being a Champion Spark Plug distributor, always has a wide choice of
racing plugs available that the local auto parts store would have great
difficulty obtaining.
    I feel that ERC's participation and presence on the salt and at El Mirage
(thanks to Les Leggett) is a huge plus to the event and the racers.
    I urge you to call Rick at ERC (510)276-9336 and ask him questions
related to our postings of the past few days. You will find him extremely
cooperative, knowledgable and friendly regards the tech part of fuels.
    BTW, Rick is also a racer. He helps tune the Steve Woods Anglia / Prefect
7 second-180 mph nostalgia AA/Gas Super and he has run 220+ at the salt with
his N/A SBC powered Fiat coupe. The car was built as a drag machine but he
ran it at Bonneville a few years ago just for "kicks".
    I will check to see if he has an (800) number and post it of one is
available.
                                Ardun Doug King