healeys

Re: [Healeys] Water pump recommendations

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Water pump recommendations
From: Michael Oritt <michael.oritt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2023 17:43:10 -0500
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net

--000000000000a6743b060d0cd305

Does anyone know what the large (plugged) hole is for?

On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 2:51=E2=80=AFPM Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> =
wrote:

> [...]
> mention that the threads are metric and I assume you mean the one for the
> shutoff valve.  I don't have one of those--never had--and since it is
> pretty expensive and I can simply shut off flow via the tap on the right
> side of the engine I think I'll stay without one.
>
> As to the hole on top of the pump--isn't that supposed to be a
> weephole designed to be left unplugged to serve as a warning that water i=
> getting past the seal in the engine--or am I misunderstanding what you ar=
> referring to ?
>
> Best--Michael
>

> On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 11:31=E2=80=AFAM Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.ne=
t> wrote:

>> I bought the 'uprated' pump by Bastuck from BPNW (the AHSpares offering
>> appears to be an unbranded version, or maybe a copy). The impeller appea=
rs
>> to be somewhat more effective design, and the gap between the impeller a=
nd
>> the pump body is, I think, smaller than OEM so would likely flow better.
>> The threads on it won't fit the OEM valve--I think everything's metric o=
>> it--and it comes with a barbed nipple. As previously reported, the hole =
on
>> the top of the pump--anyone know what that's for?--comes with a plug tha=
>> doesn't plug; I tried everything to get it to seal, and ruined a pump in=
 my
>> attempts. I finally found a way, and may use it to seal an O/D drain plu=
>> if it continues to leak. It works fine, but I haven't had the car out on=
>> hot day. I don't think coolant flow is the cause of overheating, esp. at
>> idle; it's mainly due to lack of airflow through the engine bay, lack of=
>> shroud, etc.
>>
>> I was so desperate I even tried a County pump, bought from Tom Monaco bu=
>> sourced by Moss. The bearing felt rough and and I didn't install it; I
>> returned it, and Tom had to jump through hoops to get a refund but he ca=
me
>> through. Tom knows a rebuilder in Oregon who rebuilt an OEM pump for me,
>> but it's currently riding in the boot. I don't have the invoice, but Tom
>> would tell you if you gave him a call.
>>
>> Bob
>>
>> On 12/20/2023 10:40 PM, Hank Leach via Healeys wrote:
>>
>> When I did my 100, in 2015, I took the original pump to a very good
>> machinist who fashioned a seal out of delrin and he figured out the corr=
ect
>> spring pressure using an original NOS part and the pump works perfect to
>> date.
>>
>> AH Spares professes that they have the best pump. Many other aftermarket
>> makers, including County, make junk. Using the original parts can work i=
>> you have someone who understands pumps.The proper spring pressure is
>> critical to prevent leaks and the seal being made out of delrin resists
>> wear from vibration. This machinist worked for an agricultural supply

=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Thu, Dec 21, 2023=
 at 2:51=E2=80=AFPM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bspidell@comcast.net"=
ote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,20=
4);padding-left:1ex"><u></u>

 =20
   =20
 =20
    Yep. Many/most pumps do have a hole--usually, looking like a casting
    flaw--over the shaft between the pulley and the seal.=C2=A0 It will wee=
    coolant if the seal is leaking, but this is a big, threaded
    hole--half-inch or so--probably for some other inlet. You can see it
    in this pic:<br>
-to-bn2/" target=3D"_blank">https://bpnorthwest.com/austin-healey/water-pum=
p-uprated-bn1-to-bn2/</a><br>
    Bastuck, I believe, is a German company (Josef is familiar with
    them). Also, IIRC the threads on the shaft are a bit short, I used a
    thinner jamb nut to get good purchase. Those threads may be SAE, but
    I don&#39;t recall.<br>
    bs<br>
      wrote:<br>
     =20
Bob--</div>
omewhat
          discouraging that what should be easy--sourcing a good and
          dependable water pump--seems like such a daunting task.=C2=A0 As =
          mentioned I&#39;d like to replace my present pump--I believe=C2=
=A0the
          &quot;uprated&quot; version which I installed in situ several yea=
rs back
          and is working just fine--with a new, dependable one with the
          hope that it will give several years of good service, and
          while that should not be a big ask I don&#39;t think=C2=A0I shoul=
d have
          the feeling that I am merely changing cabins on the Titanic.</div=

t said,
          most feedback seems to point to the AH Spares unit and that&#39;s
          probably where I&#39;ll go unless someone turns my head around.=
=C2=A0
          You mention that the threads are metric and I assume you mean
          the one for the shutoff=C2=A0valve.=C2=A0 I don&#39;t have one of
          those--never had--and since it is pretty expensive and I can
          simply=C2=A0shut off flow via the tap on the right side of the
          engine I think I&#39;ll stay without one.</div>
he hole
          on top of=C2=A0the pump--isn&#39;t that supposed to be a
          weephole=C2=A0designed to be left unplugged to serve as a warning
          that water is getting past the seal in the engine--or am I
          misunderstanding=C2=A0what you are referring to=C2=A0?</div>
ichael</div>
          11:31=E2=80=AFAM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bspidell@comca=
st.net" target=3D"_blank">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
he
            AHSpares offering appears to be an unbranded version, or
            maybe a copy). The impeller appears to be somewhat more
            effective design, and the gap between the impeller and the
            pump body is, I think, smaller than OEM so would likely flow
            better. The threads on it won&#39;t fit the OEM valve--I think
            everything&#39;s metric on it--and it comes with a barbed
            nipple. As previously reported, the hole on the top of the
            pump--anyone know what that&#39;s for?--comes with a plug that
            doesn&#39;t plug; I tried everything to get it to seal, and
            ruined a pump in my attempts. I finally found a way, and may
            use it to seal an O/D drain plug if it continues to leak. It
            works fine, but I haven&#39;t had the car out on a hot day. I
            don&#39;t think coolant flow is the cause of overheating, esp.
            at idle; it&#39;s mainly due to lack of airflow through the
            engine bay, lack of a shroud, etc.<br>
            I was so desperate I even tried a County pump, bought from
            Tom Monaco but sourced by Moss. The bearing felt rough and
            and I didn&#39;t install it; I returned it, and Tom had to jump
            through hoops to get a refund but he came through. Tom knows
            a rebuilder in Oregon who rebuilt an OEM pump for me, but
            it&#39;s currently riding in the boot. I don&#39;t have the inv=
oice,
            but Tom would tell you if you gave him a call.<br>
            Bob<br>
                to a very good machinist who fashioned a seal out of
                delrin and he figured out the correct spring pressure
                using an original NOS part and the pump works perfect to
                date.</div>
                Many other aftermarket makers, including County, make
                junk. Using the original parts can work if you have
                someone who understands pumps.The proper spring pressure
                is critical to prevent leaks and the seal being made out
                of delrin resists wear from vibration. This machinist
                worked for an agricultural supply company. Hank<br>
                From: &quot;Michael Oritt&quot; <a href=3D"mailto:michael.o=
ritt@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">&lt;michael.oritt@gmail.com&gt;</a>