healeys

Re: [Healeys] 100 front brakes

To: Hank Leach <gradea1@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100 front brakes
From: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 17:29:05 +1300
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>

--0000000000006457a005f593eba2

It's a bit more complicated than that.
There is actually no such thread as an AF thread. AF refers to Across the
Flats and is measurement across the hexagonal nut and denotes the spanner
(wrench) size.
i.e. a 5/16" UNF bolt is 1/2" AF.
There was a change made in the name of the thread form early in BN1
production from SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) some say (Standard
American Engineers but are wrong) to UNF (Unified National Fine). SAE
actually refers to the "Family" of threads which includes UNC and UNF.
These threads have a thread angle of 60 degrees.  The "F" and "C" refer to
the pitch or threads per inch.
For the most part the threads used on the brake lines of Healeys are 3/8" x
24. 3/8" diameter and 24 threads per inch.
Whitworth refers to a different and older "family " of threads which have a
55 degree thread angle.
I should mention that there were also some differences in the shapes used
at the bases and peaks of these different thread forms which Google can
help you with if you haven't already fallen asleep.
Hope that doesn't serve to further muddy the waters.

On Sun., Feb. 26, 2023, 3:26 p.m. Hank Leach via Healeys, <
healeys@autox.team.net> wrote:

> Gary- The note about the type of thread used was what I was referring
> to-mentioned earlier. The early BN1 used AF type threads.(equivalent to a
> 1949 Chevrolet). All the later cars (and I do not know where the changeover
> was-maybe Michael does) had unified Girling threads. The lines should
> thread easily or else you have a different thread count and pitch. I don't
> think you will find the early type hoses from any supplier. They will have
> to be special made or found in NOS. Hank

at.<div dir=3D"auto">There is actually no such thread as an AF thread. AF r=
efers to Across the Flats and is measurement across the hexagonal nut and d=
enotes the spanner (wrench) size.=C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"auto">i.e. a 5/16&=
quot; UNF bolt is 1/2&quot; AF.</div><div dir=3D"auto">There was a change m=
ade in the name of the thread form early in BN1 production from SAE (Societ=
y of Automotive Engineers) some say (Standard American Engineers but are wr=
ong) to UNF (Unified National Fine). SAE actually refers to the &quot;Famil=
y&quot; of threads which includes UNC and UNF. These threads have a thread =
angle of 60 degrees.=C2=A0 The &quot;F&quot; and &quot;C&quot; refer to the=
 pitch or threads per inch.</div><div dir=3D"auto">For the most part the th=
reads used on the brake lines of Healeys are 3/8&quot; x 24. 3/8&quot; diam=
eter and 24 threads per inch.=C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"auto">Whitworth refers=
 to a different and older &quot;family &quot; of threads which have a 55 de=
gree thread angle.=C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"auto">I should mention that there=
 were also some differences in the shapes used at the bases and peaks of th=
ese different thread forms which Google can help you with if you haven&#39;=
t already fallen asleep.</div><div dir=3D"auto">Hope that doesn&#39;t serve=
"gmail_attr">On Sun., Feb. 26, 2023, 3:26 p.m. Hank Leach via Healeys, &lt;=
il_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-lef=
t:1ex"><div>Gary- The note about the type of thread used was what I was ref=
#39;t think you will find the early type hoses from any supplier. They will=
----------------------------------</p>From: <a href=3D"mailto:warthodson@ao=
l.com" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">warthodson@aol.com</=
a><br>To: &quot;<a href=3D"mailto:gradea1@charter.net"; rel=3D"noreferrer no=
referrer" target=3D"_blank">gradea1@charter.net</a>&quot;<br>Cc: &quot;<a h=
ref=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net"; rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&quot;<br>Sent: Saturday February 25 =
Yes, I was referring to the brake wheel cylinders or slave
cylinders as opposed to the master cylinder.
-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:small">Be sure that you
were supplied the correct threaded hose...most suppliers do not
have the early style.&quot;</span></div>
latter style hose?</font><br>
Gary Hodson<br><br><div style=3D"font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt=
;color:#000000">
From: Hank Leach &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:gradea1@charter.net"; rel=3D"noreferr=
er noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">gradea1@charter.net</a>&gt;<br>
To: &#39;<a href=3D"mailto:warthodson@aol.com"; rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer=
" target=3D"_blank">warthodson@aol.com</a>&#39; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:warth=
odson@aol.com" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">warthodson@a=
ol.com</a>&gt;<br>
&quot;slave&quot;...100s have a mechanical clutch. I understand that on all
model Healeys the brake hoses have one threaded end and one flared
end. That flare goes into the metal line nut.</font>
American AF thread but switched over to the Girling unified thread
on later releases. The bleeder connection can be either in or out
in shape (photo) but if the bleed screw is flat it uses the check
ball (supplied in rebuild kits) and fits the recessed shape. The
pointed bleeder uses no check ball.=C2=A0 Be sure that you were
supplied the correct threaded hose...most suppliers do not have the
early style. Use Girling red grease on the threads. Hank<br clear=3D"none">=

ne">
hoses on his 100 front brakes. He has ordered and received a set of
hoses, but the ends that thread into the slave Cyl do not match the
shape of the mating surface in the slave. The ends of the hoses are
flat &amp; it is my understanding that the cyl. is cone shaped inside.
The vender says this is not a problem. I think it is a
problem.</font>
of flex hoses that have the correct ends for this application &amp; are
also the correct length (I.E. Not too short)?</font></div>
rer noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.htm=
l</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/he=