healeys

Re: [Healeys] Lower Stator Tube for Trafficator

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Lower Stator Tube for Trafficator
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 09:01:27 -0800

--------------gsgWmtvKSINWJJRZkcCUd8A0

Yup (if there's any left in the box).

On 2/13/2023 8:40 AM, Harold Manifold wrote:
> [...]
>     end
>     to the slot as Bob suggests.
>
>     Hank, the fishing line that you use - line used to catch fish or
>     to fish
>     wires through walls (fish tape)?  If the former, how do you get
>     the line
>     feed through the tube?  I would tie it to the harness and pull it
>     through when you remove the harness.  Or using some bailing wire
>     to feed
>     it through.
>
>     Cheers,
>
>     Bob Haskell
>     Austin-Healey 3000 roadster registrar
>
>     On 2/12/23 20:39, Bob Spidell wrote:
>     > You have to pull the trafficator wiring harness up through the
>     stator
>     > regardless to get the trafficator out and the wheel off. Once
>     you've
>     > done that, I can't think of an easy way to grab the stator, so
>     you're
>     > better off just pulling the stator out at the box (i.e. 'by the
>     book').
>     >
>     > Two things cause the trafficator to rotate with the wheel: the
>     stator
>     > isn't secured by the olive and nut at the box end, or one or
>     both of
>     > the sections--long lower and short upper--are damaged somehow. They
>     > aren't technically connected, the short upper part slides inside
>     the
>     > lower and has a dimple that fits in a slot in the lower. The
>     slot is
>     > cut square and it often cracks at the end (it should be radiused
>     IMO).
>     >
>     > When you get everything back together, presumably with a new
>     stator,
>     > make sure there's a small gap--20 thou or so--between the
>     trafficator
>     > and the hub so the hub doesn't drag the trafficator when you turn.
>     > Check first to see that it's not just a loose olive and nut; if
>     so, it
>     > will likely leak quite a bit, but it's an easy fix.
>     >
>     > Bob
>     >
>     > On 2/12/2023 2:49 PM, Harold Manifold wrote:
>     >> Hello,
>     >>
>     >> I have started to road test my car and discovered the trafficator
>     >> rotates with the steering wheel. The car has
>     adjustable steering and
>     >> further investigation strongly indicates the upper and lower
>     stator
>     >> tubes are not connecting inside the steering column.
>     >>
>     >> Question - Can the lower stator tube be removed through the
>     steering
>     >> wheel end of the steering column?
>     >>
>     >> Any tips and suggestions on how to do this job are appreciated.

  <head>
  </head>
    Yup (if there's any left in the box).<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAFP1XCDxfBPrQMUTVbxuk57AroFwMhdL_ror2eiFuNE9TYtfvw@mail.gmail.com">
        can confirm the olive is tight and the lower doesn't rotate but
        the trafficator can rotate freely with no resistance. It looks
        like the problem is inside the steering column. I will remove
        the trafficator and lower stator tube and report back.
          out when the lower stator is removed?</div>
          AM Bob Haskell &lt;<a href="mailto:rchaskell@earthlink.net";
            moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">rchaskell@earthlink.net</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">The
          short stator tube, connected to the control head, has three
          dimples <br>
          that ride in a slot in the long stator tube.  The short stator
          tube fits <br>
          over the long stator tube.  Looks to me that the slot was cut
          with a <br>
          slitting saw leaving a knife edge corners where the cracks
          originate.  <br>
          I've made some long stator tubes, using an end mill to put a
          round end <br>
          to the slot as Bob suggests.<br>
          Hank, the fishing line that you use - line used to catch fish
          or to fish <br>
          wires through walls (fish tape)?  If the former, how do you
          get the line <br>
          feed through the tube?  I would tie it to the harness and pull
          it <br>
          through when you remove the harness.  Or using some bailing
          wire to feed <br>
          it through.<br>
          Cheers,<br>
          Bob Haskell<br>
          Austin-Healey 3000 roadster registrar<br>
          On 2/12/23 20:39, Bob Spidell wrote:<br>
          &gt; You have to pull the trafficator wiring harness up
          through the stator <br>
          &gt; regardless to get the trafficator out and the wheel off.
          Once you've <br>
          &gt; done that, I can't think of an easy way to grab the
          stator, so you're <br>
          &gt; better off just pulling the stator out at the box (i.e.
          'by the book').<br>
          &gt;<br>
          &gt; Two things cause the trafficator to rotate with the
          wheel: the stator <br>
          &gt; isn't secured by the olive and nut at the box end, or one
          or both of <br>
          &gt; the sections--long lower and short upper--are damaged
          somehow. They <br>
          &gt; aren't technically connected, the short upper part slides
          inside the <br>
          &gt; lower and has a dimple that fits in a slot in the lower.
          The slot is <br>
          &gt; cut square and it often cracks at the end (it should be
          radiused IMO).<br>
          &gt;<br>
          &gt; When you get everything back together, presumably with a
          new stator, <br>
          &gt; make sure there's a small gap--20 thou or so--between the
          trafficator <br>
          &gt; and the hub so the hub doesn't drag the trafficator when
          you turn. <br>
          &gt; Check first to see that it's not just a loose olive and
          nut; if so, it <br>
          &gt; will likely leak quite a bit, but it's an easy fix.<br>
          &gt;<br>
          &gt; Bob<br>
          &gt;<br>
          &gt; On 2/12/2023 2:49 PM, Harold Manifold wrote:<br>
          &gt;&gt; Hello,<br>
          &gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt; I have started to road test my car and discovered the
          trafficator <br>
          &gt;&gt; rotates with the steering wheel. The car has
          adjustable steering and <br>
          &gt;&gt; further investigation strongly indicates the upper
          and lower stator <br>
          &gt;&gt; tubes are not connecting inside the steering column.<br>
          &gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt; Question - Can the lower stator tube be removed
          through the steering <br>
          &gt;&gt; wheel end of the steering column?<br>
          &gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt; Any tips and suggestions on how to do this job are
          appreciated.<br>
          &gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;&gt; Thanks... Harold<br>
          &gt;&gt;<br>
          &gt;<br>
          &gt; Support Team.Net <a
            href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel="noreferrer"
            target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
          &gt; Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
          &gt;<br>
          &gt; Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
          &gt; <a href="http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys";
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
          &gt;<br>
          &gt; <a href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net"; target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

          &gt;<br>
          &gt; Unsubscribe/Manage: <br>
          &gt; <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/rchaskell@earthlink.net";
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/rchaskell@earthlink.net</a><br>
          &gt;<br>
          Support Team.Net <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
          Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
          Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
            moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

          Unsubscribe/Manage: <a

href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/manifold@telus.net";
            rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/manifold@telus.net</a><br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
 <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"