healeys

Re: [Healeys] PCV installation BJ8

To: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>, "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] PCV installation BJ8
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 09:31:58 -0700
References: <374BCB36-0EF4-4618-A454-5E39E7D7F312.ref@sbcglobal.net> <374BCB36-0EF4-4618-A454-5E39E7D7F312@sbcglobal.net> <710c4b6b-d8ff-43a4-e563-8a0e8430468f@comcast.net> <CABXhz88f6wLW4=YjSA8rSJ3oHSVR1zLWO0Kq+SxVCfa2_VV1eg@mail.gmail.com> <31d5f4d9-904f-061f-05bb-aba040861a1e@comcast.net> <CAB3i7L+LoUoUJ-+0neoiN+wX7kBZaxX8EVPfVy5k-v3xe8tSZw@mail.gmail.com> <ea8e3af4-137c-f8e3-b733-5f485ee1b2f7@comcast.net> <CAB3i7LLYarQrMs=3uDJf2TfxE19g+qzwnTxN9QA=xxtK4fuo5w@mail.gmail.com>

--------------MEsPqXadKH3diDDkioKUTwVe

Looks like a clean install to me (I like the 'aftermarket' heat shield;
I have one made for a 100M on the shelf if I do get around to installing
PCV on my BN2). How did you seal up the road draft tube? Any noticeable
effect on oil consumption/drips?).

On 3/22/2022 9:24 AM, Michael Salter wrote:
> [...]
> see in the attached pic.
> I found that at normal cruise the ccp ranged between +2" and -3".
> Lifting off the throttle momentarily would establish the -3" pressure
> which would hold until the engine was taken back to idle. After that
> the pressure would fluctuate as one accelerated through the gears then
> establish at around 0 in at steady speed until the throttle was
> closed, then back to -3".
> I'm fairly sure that these figures are a consequence of the type of
> PCV valve used but it is impossible to get specific information about
> various valves.
>
> On Tue., Mar. 22, 2022, 12:00 p.m. Bob Spidell, <bspidell@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>     Hmmmmm ... looks like the hard plastic tube you get with oil
>     suction pumps. So, what does it reveal?
>     bs
>
>     On 3/22/2022 8:52 AM, Michael Salter wrote:
>>     It's actually quite easy to test on the highway.
>>     I made this very basic manometer and plugged the end of the tube
>>     into the dipstick hole.
>>     Drive around with a passenger watching the displacement of the
>>     water in the tube ...  very revealing.

>>     On Tue., Mar. 22, 2022, 11:15 a.m. Bob Spidell,
>>     <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>         I started with the BCS kit, so I have the sealing washer on
>>         the dipstick, and I put a screw in the hole in the oil filler
>>         cap (I didn't think solder would stick on the oily cap, and I
>>         wanted 'reversible' at the time). At idle, you can feel a
>>         vacuum if you put the palm of your hand over the oil filler
>>         hole (haven't tried it on the highway).
>>

>>         On 3/21/2022 10:43 PM, i erbs wrote:
>>>         Did you do anything else? Just ran the pvc to the manifold?
>>>         That's it? What about the hole in the oil cap? I have a bj8
>>>         manifold on my bt7 engine. I get a lot of blowby into my
>>>         rear air filter. Had Rocker arm checked...all good.
>>>
>>>         Ira Erbs
>>>         1959 AH 100-6
>>>         1967 MGB
>>>         Milwaukie, Or
>>>
>>>         On Mon, Mar 21, 2022, 5:31 PM Bob Spidell
>>>         <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>             Here's how my mechanic did it. Best to balance both
>>>             carbs, but using the
>>>             unused port on the manifold works OK too.  I ran that
>>>             way for many
>>>             years; the thread is some sort of Brit thread, I drilled
>>>             and tapped it
>>>             for an American one.
>>>
>>>             On 3/21/2022 10:51 AM, Michael DiVito via Healeys wrote:
>>>             > Planning to install a PCV on my BJ8 and having trouble
>>>             finding the right hardware to connect to the manifold.
>>>             The plug in the manifold where I will connect the PCV is
>>>             3/8â?? with a fine thread pattern. Does anyone know where
>>>             I might purchase a suitable connector which has the
>>>             correct 3/8â?? threaded end for the manifold connection
>>>             and a 1/2â?? barbed end for connection to the PCV?  Also
>>>             if anyone has already done a PCV install advice appreciated.

  <head>
  </head>
    Looks like a clean install to me (I like the 'aftermarket' heat
    shield; I have one made for a 100M on the shelf if I do get around
    to installing PCV on my BN2). How did you seal up the road draft
    tube? Any noticeable effect on oil consumption/drips?).<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAB3i7LLYarQrMs=3uDJf2TfxE19g+qzwnTxN9QA=xxtK4fuo5w@mail.gmail.com">
        Toyota Pathfinder valve was somewhat effective but certainly not
        perfect. Not easy to see in the attached pic.
          between +2" and -3".</div>
          establish the -3" pressure which would hold until the engine
          was taken back to idle. After that the pressure would
          fluctuate as one accelerated through the gears then establish
          at around 0 in at steady speed until the throttle was closed,
          then back to -3".</div>
          consequence of the type of PCV valve used but it is impossible
          to get specific information about various valves.</div>
          p.m. Bob Spidell, &lt;<a href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";
            moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
            oil suction pumps. So, what does it reveal?<br>
            bs<br>
                highway.
                  plugged the end of the tube into the dipstick hole. </div>
                  the displacement of the water in the tube ...  very
                  revealing.</div>
                  2022, 11:15 a.m. Bob Spidell, &lt;<a
                    href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net"; target="_blank"
                    rel="noreferrer" moz-do-not-send="true"
                    class="moz-txt-link-freetext">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt;
                  wrote:<br>
                  .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
                    sealing washer on the dipstick, and I put a screw in
                    the hole in the oil filler cap (I didn't think
                    solder would stick on the oily cap, and I wanted
                    'reversible' at the time). At idle, you can feel a
                    vacuum if you put the palm of your hand over the oil
                    filler hole (haven't tried it on the highway).<br>
                        the pvc to the manifold? That's it? What about
                        the hole in the oil cap? I have a bj8 manifold
                        on my bt7 engine. I get a lot of blowby into my
                        rear air filter. Had Rocker arm checked...all
                        good.<br>
                          1959 AH 100-6<br>
                          1967 MGB<br>
                          Milwaukie, Or</div>
                          21, 2022, 5:31 PM Bob Spidell &lt;<a
                            href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";
                            rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"
                            moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt;
                          wrote:<br>
                          0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc
                          solid;padding-left:1ex">Here's how my mechanic
                          did it. Best to balance both carbs, but using
                          the <br>
                          unused port on the manifold works OK too.  I
                          ran that way for many <br>
                          years; the thread is some sort of Brit thread,
                          I drilled and tapped it <br>
                          for an American one.<br>
                          On 3/21/2022 10:51 AM, Michael DiVito via
                          Healeys wrote:<br>
                          &gt; Planning to install a PCV on my BJ8 and
                          having trouble finding the right hardware to
                          connect to the manifold. The plug in the
                          manifold where I will connect the PCV is 3/8â??
                          with a fine thread pattern. Does anyone know
                          where I might purchase a suitable connector
                          which has the correct 3/8â?? threaded end for
                          the manifold connection and a 1/2â?? barbed end
                          for connection to the PCV?  Also if anyone has
                          already done a PCV install advice appreciated.<br>
                          &gt;<br>
                          &gt; Michael P. DiVito<br>
                  Support Team.Net <a
                    href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
                    rel="noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer"
                    target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
                  Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
                  Archive: <a
                    href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/archive/healeys</a><br>
                    rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"
                    moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
                  <a
                    href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys";