healeys

Re: [Healeys] Head Gasket

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Head Gasket
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 08:44:30 -0800
References: <eaf9c8b129062ae6c14d58dcb1e5f338df44cac5@webmail> <CAFBXTkK=nMNsuqznw9i2EiKEabd=F=ufu7d85GFfcrY_fur6rA@mail.gmail.com> <CAL28cLUkt7dU81x+Mkx3GaL2pjuF5F3cKxeMqA8EGO2==7DNuw@mail.gmail.com> <CAB3i7L+=f3a5iu1F49fAPjnKN5x6zGePk+G777JcqsKr3KXR1A@mail.gmail.com> <CAFBXTk+P_44SwvkbxBopWYTtrMqxzTOT2i1-bHdLpW=cMycgWQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAL28cLW_fut5-qT3VQX46CzNcfxXPUCkywYa8mHFE+hOFNBiMw@mail.gmail.com> <f5835453-83e0-9f09-0d2c-043fac309e1b@comcast.net> <CAB3i7LKwSJu4W+eLRdT92K3K2ko2vP7NBnRQkJ8tZ5Dwo86X=Q@mail.gmail.com>

--------------vJAY65od5y0YvQkaOgUk8gEh

Which, of course, is the theory of the various 'water wetter' products.
I tried (the original, I think) Water Wetter from Redline and didn't
notice a significant reduction in coolant temp; but, I've got a bottle
of the Dynolite version on the shelf I'll throw in the next time I
change out coolant. As they say: "Hope springs eternal."

On 2/24/2022 8:30 AM, Michael Salter wrote:
> Interesting article Bob but IMHO their statement:
> "Pressure in a cooling system is vital for keeping water in contact
> with the metal surfaces of the cylinder heads and block."
> is something of an over simplification.
> The reality is that any "boiling " of the coolant produces a "bubble"
> of gaseous coolant, there is no air, as such, involved.
> Their statement :
> "Pressure keeps the air compressed and maintains the water-to-metal
> contact. "
> suggests that the cooling system contains air; it shouldn't contain
> any air, other perhaps the very small quantity disolved in the coolant.
> Pressurizing the cooling system raises the boiling point. Raising the
> boiling point means that the temperature of the engine surfaces where
> gaseous coolant will be generated will also  need to be higher for
> boiling to occur.
> As the rate of heat radiation from the cooling surfaces is
> proportional to the 4th power of the absolute temperature there is
> also a considerable increase in the amount of energy that can be
> dissipated by the radiator.
> These things together make pressuring the cooling system even to only
> 7 p.s.i. very advantageous.
> As I mentioned earlier the problem with the 100 insofar as cooling
> system pressure is concerned is the carbon seal in the water pump and
> perhaps the design of the radiator tanks.

> On Thu., Feb. 24, 2022, 10:42 a.m. Bob Spidell, <bspidell@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>     I was about to jump in and say "But, but, but .... pressure only
>     raises
>     the boiling point but, for once, I did some 'research' first:'
>
>     "Pressure in a cooling system is vital for keeping water in
>     contact with
>     the metal surfaces of the cylinder heads and block."
>

> https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/understanding-the-cooling-system-cool-under-pressure/

--------------vJAY65od5y0YvQkaOgUk8gEh

  <head>
  </head>
    Which, of course, is the theory of the various 'water wetter'
    products. I tried (the original, I think) Water Wetter from Redline
    and didn't notice a significant reduction in coolant temp; but, I've
    got a bottle of the Dynolite version on the shelf I'll throw in the
    next time I change out coolant. As they say: "Hope springs eternal."<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAB3i7LKwSJu4W+eLRdT92K3K2ko2vP7NBnRQkJ8tZ5Dwo86X=Q@mail.gmail.com">
          statement:
              cooling system is vital for keeping water in contact with
              t</span><span style="font-size:12.8px">he metal surfaces
              of the cylinder heads and block."</span><br>
              style="font-size:12.8px"><br>
            coolant produces a "bubble" of gaseous coolant, there is no
            air, as such, involved. </div>
            maintains the water-to-metal contact. "<br>
            it shouldn't contain any air, other perhaps the very small
            quantity disolved in the coolant.</div>
            boiling point. Raising the boiling point means that the
            temperature of the engine surfaces where gaseous coolant
            will be generated will also  need to be higher for boiling
            to occur.</div>
            surfaces is proportional to the 4th power of the absolute
            temperature there is also a considerable increase in the
            amount of energy that can be dissipated by the radiator. </div>
            cooling system even to only 7 p.s.i. very advantageous. </div>
            100 insofar as cooling system pressure is concerned is the
            carbon seal in the water pump and perhaps the design of the
            radiator tanks.</div>
            10:42 a.m. Bob Spidell, &lt;<a
              href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net"; rel="noreferrer
              noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
              class="moz-txt-link-freetext">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt;
            wrote:<br>
            .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">I was
            about to jump in and say "But, but, but .... pressure only
            raises <br>
            the boiling point but, for once, I did some 'research'
            first:'<br>
            "Pressure in a cooling system is vital for keeping water in
            contact with <br>
            the metal surfaces of the cylinder heads and block."<br>
            <a
href="https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/understanding-the-cooling-system-cool-under-pressure/";
              rel="noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer"
              target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/understanding-the-cooling-system-cool-under-pressure/</a><br>

--------------vJAY65od5y0YvQkaOgUk8gEh--

--===============8452092174372330172==