healeys

Re: [Healeys] Head Gasket Woes Part Three

To: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <ynotink@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Head Gasket Woes Part Three
From: Steven Kingsbury via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 19:01:46 -0000 MailServer2208B125.10000-Famine2208-0-39fb02e78fbe 2903e8d5c8f:6.0.138,18.0.816,17.11.62.513.0000000 definitions=2022-01-18_01:2020-02-14_02,2022-01-18_01,2021-12-02_01 signatures=0 mlxlogscore=879 spamscore=0 suspectscore=0 malwarescore=0 mlxscore=0 clxscore=1011 bulkscore=0 adultscore=0 classifier=spam adjust=0 reason=mlx scancount=1 engine=8.12.0-2009150000 definitions=main-2202230107
Cc: Steven Kingsbury via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>

--Apple-Webmail-42--44c656db-02fe-4a87-8dfd-404e6dd32717

William,I think your theory about the overlap is a good one and makes the =
most sense to me. I have heard from more than one 100 owner who experience=
d very similar problems with head gaskets. Some repeatedly, so rather than=
 fall into that trap, I think aluminum is in my future.Thanks all for the =
comments and suggestions.StevenOn Feb 23, 2022, at 9:02 AM, WILLIAM B LAWR=
ENCE <ynotink@msn.com> wrote:I had a bunch of trouble with head gaskets be=
fore my last rebuild. It occurred to me that the laminated copper gaskets =
I was using had an area of overlap in the combustion chamber that exposes=0A=
 the thin copper to erosion by hot combustion gases. My theory is that the=
 copper burns away and exposes the asbestos core which is then gradually b=
urned out until the gasket fails catastrophically. I used a solid copper g=
asket for a time with good results,=0A but couldn=E2=80=99t get it to seal=
 between the oil and water systems. At the last rebuild I installed the De=
nis Welch competition gasket and had both surfaces tried and finished. The=
 results have been great.From: Healeys <healeys-bounces@autox.team.net> on=
 behalf of Steven Kingsbury via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net> Sent: Wed=
nesday, February 23, 2022 4:34 PM To: Healey Mail List <healeys@autox.team=
.net> Subject: [Healeys] Head Gasket Woes Part Three =C2=A0Let me start wi=
th a little history with this email. My engine has just a shade under 3,00=
0 miles on it since rebuild. The head was checked for cracks, none found a=
nd was ever so slightly shaved to make sure it was completely flat. The ma=
chine shop I use=0A builds race engines and they do really good, reliable =
work.Then the block was gone through, new sleeves inserted and bored so to=
 fit my new pistons. Again the top of the block was checked and double che=
cked to make sure it was flat and mated to the head.When I fired this engi=
ne up for the first time after rebuild, she lept to life! No turning it ov=
er and over and over. She fired right up. I was quite pleased. I ran the e=
ngine for about twenty minutes at 2,000 RPM, never got above 180 degrees a=
nd then took her out on the road. I took care not to over rev, and drove u=
p a long hill in third gear at low RPM to help set the rings.=C2=A0I did h=
ave some problems with the distributor, but that was fixed and at fifty mi=
les I checked the head again for torque. I drove the car more and retorque=
d the head again at 150 miles, all was fine.I checked again at 500 miles a=
nd again at 1500 miles. All was fine.=C2=A0Anyway, this history is to let =
you know I think I did everything I could and did everything overly cautio=
us to break this engine in correctly. And this engine was running great! M=
y car was a joy to drive and loved cruising down the freeway at 80 mph! Se=
venty=0A was a sweet spot and was a joy to drive. I'm now thinking of goin=
g with the aluminum head thanks to the combined wisdom of this list. Alumi=
num head with the steel gasket. I've heard nothing but good news about the=
m and I don't want to have that worry/doubt while driving down the road. I=
 am also=0A going to continue down the path of fixing this head as I think=
 it's worth it in the long run.=C2=A0I want to thank all of those sending =
in suggestions and tips and cautionary tales and things to look for and al=
l of the views have led me to believe, bite the bullet and spend the money=
.Thank you all and I will report back!Steven KingsburyBN1=C2=A0
--Apple-Webmail-42--44c656db-02fe-4a87-8dfd-404e6dd32717
    charset=utf-8;

overlap is =
a good one and makes the most sense to me. I have heard from more than one=
 100 owner who experienced very similar problems with head gaskets. Some r=
epeatedly, so rather than fall into that trap, I think aluminum is in my f=
 2022, at 9:02 AM, WILLIAM B LAWRENCE &lt;ynotink@msn.com&gt; wrote:<br></=
amily: inherit; font-size: inherit; color: inherit;">I had a bunch of trou=
ble with head gaskets before my last rebuild. It occurred to me that the l=
aminated copper gaskets I was using had an area of overlap in the combusti=
on chamber that exposes=0A the thin copper to erosion by hot combustion ga=
ses. My theory is that the copper burns away and exposes the asbestos core=
 which is then gradually burned out until the gasket fails catastrophicall=
y. I used a solid copper gasket for a time with good results,=0A but could=
n=E2=80=99t get it to seal between the oil and water systems. At the last =
rebuild I installed the Denis Welch competition gasket and had both surfac=
e=3D"display:inline-block;width:98%"><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr" id=3D"divR=
plyFwdMsg"><div><span style=3D"font-family:Calibri, sans-serif" class=3D"f=
lt;healeys-bounces@autox.team.net&gt; on behalf of Steven Kingsbury via He=
history with this email. My engine has just a shade under 3,000 miles on i=
t since rebuild. The head was checked for cracks, none found and was ever =
so slightly shaved to make sure it was completely flat. The machine shop I=
 use=0A builds race engines and they do really good, reliable work.<br></d=
iv><div>Then the block was gone through, new sleeves inserted and bored so=

--===============1146664753037592249==