healeys

Re: [Healeys] 100 lifters

To: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100 lifters
From: Michael Salter via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 12:32:28 -0400

--000000000000922e9a05c95f4875

For those who may still be following this thread the Buick lifters weigh 78
gm and the standard Austin Healey100 ones 122 gm.
Of course the additional weight of the longer pushrods must be added to the
Buick weight to get a true picture and that is 21 gm for the sets I have.
Obviously the reduction in reciprocating weight is around 23 gm.
For those interested I'm considering several options.

   1. Having the cam and lifters reground and reground and re heat treated.
   2. Using the Buick lifters and pushrods but installing slightly lower
   load valve springs. My logic is that I have never run this engine up to
   anything like valve bounce, in fact I've never heard valve bounce in a 1=
00
   engine, so decreasing the seat pressure a little should not present a
   problem.
   3. Installing roller lifters and cam. Probably not going to fly because
   of the prohibitive cost and not much information available on durability=
.
   4. Very radical but having a set of silicon nitride capped lifters made.
   I have done considerable research into this option and, although it is v=
ery
   expensive and somewhat experimental, the results reported by those who h=
ave
   been using such lifters are very good, actually phenomenal. ( I should
   mention that some of the earlier silicone nitride capped lifters failed
   with disastrous results).

Although option 4. will probably cost something around $1K my logic is that
this is the second time this failure has happened to me so with the cost
engine rebuilds today the $1K may be good insurance. I have a friend who
races a very competitive mini who has been using a set of silicon nitride
tipped lifters for several years and despite numerous engine failures has
never experienced a cam lobe or lifter failure.

I'm interested in anyone's constructive input.

On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 8:13 AM Perry Small via Healeys <
healeys@autox.team.net> wrote:

> I think the real difference between the bucket lifters and the stock unit=
> is the actual weight of the lifters.
>
> There may be some impact on lifter bore wear due to the side loads of the
> pushrods at a higher contact point on stock lifters compared to the bucke=
> type but is probably minimal. Was that vague enough?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Aug 9, 2021, at 7:36 AM, Michael Oritt <michael.oritt@gmail.com> wrote=
:

> =EF=BB=BF
> Bob--
>
> I should have added that this incident coincided with a recent lowering b=
> DOT of lead and zinc contents and what might have been fine a year
> earlier was no longer sufficient to protect the new cam and lifters.  I'l=
> certainly plead guilty to the sometimes-specious thinking that "more is
> better", but on the other hand "less" is sometimes not enough, and therei=
> lies the dilemma.
>
> Best--Michael Oritt
>
> On Sun, Aug 8, 2021 at 11:00 PM Bob Spidell via Healeys <
> healeys@autox.team.net> wrote:
>
>> Subject to debate. The literature I've seen from the oil companies stres=
>> that their products are carefully formulated, and adding anything to the=
>> is not a good idea. Also, ZDDP was first used as a detergent, with its w=
ear
>> surface protection a surprising side-effect (like how tetra-ethyl lead w=
as
>> added to gas to increase octane rating, and its cushioning and protectin=
>> of valve seats was a side-effect). But, it's human nature to think "If a
>> little of this is good, a lot HAS to be better," but it's not necessaril=
>> true. ZDDP is corrosive in high concentrations; the 'sweet spot' appears=
>> be about 1,500PPM.
>>
>> Ordinarily, I'd attribute Michael's failed lifters (cam?) to improper
>> break-in, but I'm sure M used proper procedures, which makes this doubly
>> mysterious and concerning. I don't know how bucket lifters would change =
the
>> outcome; their main benefit seems to be reduced wear of the block.
>>

>> On 8/8/2021 6:19 PM, i erbs via Healeys wrote:
>>
>> Good practice
>>
>> Ira Erbs
>> 1959 AH 100-6
>> 1967 MGB
>> Milwaukie, OR
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 8, 2021, 6:09 PM Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> So adding zddp on top of whatever is in there is okay?  I have Castrol
>>> 20W-50 in my motor... also use the Valvoline too.

 So

>> Unsubscribe/Manage:
>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michael.oritt@gmail.com
>>

> --
> Best--Michael

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/healeyguy@aol.com

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com

--000000000000922e9a05c95f4875

ns-serif;font-size:small">For those who may still be following this thread =
the Buick lifters weigh 78 gm and the standard Austin Healey100 ones 122 gm=
. <br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-se=
rif;font-size:small">Of course the additional weight of the longer pushrods=
 must be added to the Buick weight to get a true picture and that is 21 gm =
for the sets I have.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family=
:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">Obviously the reduction in reciprocating=
 weight is around 23 gm. <br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"fo=
nt-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small">For those interested I&#39;m co=
nsidering several options.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-=
family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:small"><ol><li>Having the cam and lifters=
ters and pushrods but installing slightly lower load valve springs. My logi=
c is that I have never run this engine up to anything like valve bounce, in=
 fact I&#39;ve never heard valve bounce in a 100 engine, so decreasing the =
seat pressure a little should not present a problem.</li><li>Installing rol=
ler lifters and cam. Probably not going to fly because of the prohibitive c=
cal but having a set of silicon nitride capped lifters made. I have done co=
nsiderable research into this option and, although it is very expensive and=
 somewhat experimental, the results reported by those who have been using s=
uch lifters are very good, actually phenomenal. ( I should mention that som=
e of the earlier silicone nitride capped lifters failed with disastrous res=
 $1K my logic is that this is the second time this failure has happened to =
me so with the cost engine rebuilds today the $1K may be good insurance. I =
have a friend who races a very competitive mini who has been using a set of=
 silicon nitride tipped lifters for several years and despite numerous engi=
ne failures has never experienced a cam lobe or lifter failure.</div><div><=
gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 8=
:13 AM Perry Small via Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net=
_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204=
,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"auto">I think the real difference betwe=
en the bucket lifters and the stock units is the actual weight of the lifte=
ue to the side loads of the pushrods at a higher contact point on stock lif=
ters compared to the bucket type but is probably minimal. Was that vague en=
iv dir=3D"ltr"><br><blockquote type=3D"cite">On Aug 9, 2021, at 7:36 AM, Mi=
chael Oritt &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:michael.oritt@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank=
ote type=3D"cite"><div dir=3D"ltr">=EF=BB=BF<div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"=
gmail_default" style=3D"color:rgb(51,51,255)">Bob--</div><div class=3D"gmai=
l_default" style=3D"color:rgb(51,51,255)"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_def=
ault" style=3D"color:rgb(51,51,255)">I should have added that this incident=
 coincided with a recent lowering by DOT of lead and zinc contents and what=
 might have been fine a year earlier=C2=A0was no longer=C2=A0sufficient to =
protect the new cam and lifters.=C2=A0 I&#39;ll certainly=C2=A0plead guilty=
 to the sometimes-specious thinking that=C2=A0&quot;more is better&quot;, b=
ut on the other hand &quot;less&quot; is sometimes not enough, and therein =
lies the dilemma.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color:rgb(51,5=
1,255)"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color:rgb(51,51,255=
=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, Aug 8, 2021 at 11:00 PM Bob Spidell v=
ia Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">=
uote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,2=
04);padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
    Subject to debate. The literature I&#39;ve seen from the oil companies
    stress that their products are carefully formulated, and adding
    anything to them is not a good idea. Also, ZDDP was first used as a
    detergent, with its wear surface protection a surprising side-effect
    (like how tetra-ethyl lead was added to gas to increase octane
    rating, and its cushioning and protecting of valve seats was a
    side-effect). But, it&#39;s human nature to think &quot;If a little of =
this
    is good, a lot HAS to be better,&quot; but it&#39;s not necessarily tru=
e.
    ZDDP is corrosive in high concentrations; the &#39;sweet spot&#39; appe=
ars
    to be about 1,500PPM. <br>
    Ordinarily, I&#39;d attribute Michael&#39;s failed lifters (cam?) to
    improper break-in, but I&#39;m sure M used proper procedures, which
    makes this doubly mysterious and concerning. I don&#39;t know how bucke=
    lifters would change the outcome; their main benefit seems to be
    reduced wear of the block.<br>
      wrote:<br>
     =20
          1959 AH 100-6<br>
          1967 MGB<br>
          Milwaukie, OR</div>
          Alan Seigrist &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healey.nut@gmail.com"; target=
=3D"_blank">healey.nut@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
            is okay?=C2=A0 I have Castrol 20W-50 in my motor... also use th=
            Valvoline too.</div>
              11:11 PM Michael Oritt via Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:heal=
eys@autox.team.net" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">healeys@autox.team=
.net</a>&gt;
              wrote:<br>
.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
>In
                  about 2007 just before ZDDP content in motor oils
                  became a commonly talked-about issue in vintage racing
                  communities, I bought a new race engine for my
                  MGA-powered Elva Courier from a reputable builder who
                  recommended=C2=A0I use Mobil 1.=C2=A0 Somewhere during th=
e first
                  race weekend performance fell off and upon disassembly
                  it was determined that the cam lobes had been damaged
                  due to wear from the lifters.=C2=A0=C2=A0</div>
>After
                  replacing the cam and lifters I began=C2=A0using RP racin=
                  oil and throwing in ZDDP additive for good measure.=C2=A0
                  Though the Royal Purple probably contained sufficient
                  zddp on its own and some folks cautioned=C2=A0against too
                  high levels of zinc I have=C2=A0 continued this combinati=
on
                  and have not lost a cam, etc. since.</div>
>YMMV....=C2=A0=C2=A0</div>
                  11:16 PM Michael Salter &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:michaelsalt=
er@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">michaelsalter@gmail.com<=
/a>&gt;
                  wrote:<br>
px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                    to adjust the tappets which had initially been
                    silent after 2000 miles and then again at 4500.
                      audible and had previously been silent.</div>
                      changes there was &quot;fir&quot; in the drain plug m=
agnet.</div>
                      destroyed a very low mileage &quot;M&quot; cam and a =
set of
                      NOS lifters that I had been saving for decades.</div>
                      silicon nitride lifters manufactured but at over
                      $1000 a set its a serious investment.</div>
                      2021, 10:47 a.m. Steven Kingsbury, &lt;<a href=3D"mai=
lto:airtightproductions@icloud.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">ai=
rtightproductions@icloud.com</a>&gt;
                      wrote:<br>
px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                          my lifters from AH Spares in the UK. These
                          were their new design for better oil flow. I
                          now have 1000 miles or so on the new engine
                          and once I got my problems figured out with my
                          distributor, the car is running well and
                          smooth.</div>
he other shoe is
                          going to drop! What problems did you have
                          pointing you to the lifters as the source of
                          those problems? When I retorqued the head, I
                          readjusted the rockers and found no problems.
                          They were a little off, but I expected a
                          little.</div>
? I used
                          Driven Break In oil and then I switched to VR1
                          like you after 500 miles. I have been driving
                          the car to build up some trust in it and it&#39;s
                          turning in to a joy to drive. I&#39;ve got M mods
                          on this engine, cam, H6 carbs, M pistons and
                          these new lifters. So far, so good.=C2=A0</div>
                          On August 3, 2021 at 5:19 PM, Michael Salter
                          via Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.t=
eam.net" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">healeys@autox.team=
.net</a>&gt;
                          wrote:<br>
                                NOS BMC lifters that I installed in my
                                engine with a very low mileage &quot;M&quot=
; cam
                                have started to deteriorate.=C2=A0
                                  steady diet of VR1 non synthetic and
                                  it has had 4 changes in 6K miles.=C2=A0</=
div>
 trying
                                  bucket type Buick lifters with longer
                                  push rods and a new cam.</div>