healeys

Re: [Healeys] A90 Head Update

To: gradea1@charter.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] A90 Head Update
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 11:47:25 +0800
Cc: Healey list <healeys@autox.team.net>

--000000000000c3c60405ba6672d8

I don't recall what torque they used, but I personally did check the torque
settings after they assembled the engine and I had to refine the torque ...
I think I recall they had torqued varying amounts between 55 and 75 ft lbs,
I topped up the torque to all at 75 ft lbs... so I don't think torque
settings in of themselves was the problem.

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 10:46 AM <gradea1@charter.net> wrote:

> Alan-two questions: do you know if the car overheated at any time after
> the replacement of the head?
>
> Secondly, do you have any idea what torque they used to tighten the head,
> even if they did not go in order?
>
> A couple of us, who have been doing this for awhile, decided on about 80
> FT LBS. as max torque. There is no book spec. That is a spec for that size
> stud and nut. The tightening order in the workshop manual is strictly
> adhered to, and the torque is brought up in 1/3 increments.
>
> Again, I sprayed  both sides of my copper gasket with a light coating of
> Permatex copper seal.
> I used a Payen gasket which was marked top/front. Yea, the good old
> days...Hank

don&#39;t think torque settings in of themselves was the problem.</div><br>=
b 3, 2021 at 10:46 AM &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:gradea1@charter.net";>gradea1@ch=
=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding=
-left:1ex"><div>Alan-two questions: do you know if the car overheated at an=
ou have any idea what torque they used to tighten the head, even if they di=
oing this for awhile, decided on about 80 FT LBS. as max torque. There is n=
o book spec. That is a spec for that size stud and nut. The tightening orde=
r in the workshop manual is strictly adhered to, and the torque is brought =
sides of my copper gasket with a light coating of Permatex copper seal.</di=
v><div>I used a Payen gasket which was marked top/front. Yea, the good old =
r>Cc: &quot;Healey list&quot;<br>Sent: Tuesday February 2 2021 6:07:37PM<br=
>Subject: Re: [Healeys] A90 Head Update<br><br>
can believe it, but the car sat for about 10 years
afterwards...=C2=A0 I&#39;ve checked both the head and deck with a
rectifier (see pic), both are very nicely flat and do not need to
go to the machinist.=C2=A0 Both are flat to within 1/1000 on the
surface... which is less than the error on the rectifier!</div>
saved and it has no signs of gas leaking between cylinders compared
to this newer gasket that=C2=A0I just=C2=A0removed.=C2=A0 I
discovered a few things:</div>
<ol><li>The old gasket is made with better quality, softer copper, and
is thicker than the newer gasket that was put on.=C2=A0 The old
gasket that showed no problems is 1.8mm thick after being
installed, the new gasket that failed is 1.5mm thick after being
installed.=C2=A0 The old gasket is very nicely=C2=A0marked as to
orientation, directions, copper compression rings are thicker,
etc., etc.,=C2=A0 Clearly the older gasket was made to work in
circumstances where the mating surfaces weren&#39;t always perfectly
flat.</li>
<li>I highly suspect the mechanics that installed the head last
time did not torque the head in the proper sequence, quite possibly
working from the outside in.=C2=A0=C2=A0</li>
<li>The head stud mount holes on the deck were raised a bit in
couple places and may have caused the head to deflect a little,
possibly, but they don&#39;t seem to have been enough to make a
difference... I have already filed those holes down.=C2=A0 Micheal
Salter has told me to run a countersink to debur the hole.</li>
</ol><div>It&#39;s a weird one, I think possibly a combination of all three
issues above.=C2=A0 Let&#39;s see how she goes after I finish the
job.=C2=A0 Ultimately one thing I learned is I cannot anymore rely
on mechanics that I do not know well to do work on my car... I end
up having to redo everything.</div>
left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
On 2/1/2021 11:23 PM, Alan Seigrist wrote:<br>
&gt; All -<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Got the head off.=C2=A0 Sure enough the gasket blew between
3&amp;4 . =C2=A0some<br>
&gt; evidence of gas flow between 1&amp;2 as well. Last pic is of
me standing<br>
&gt; in the engine compartment lifting the head off, just to make
all of<br>
&gt; you jealous ... :D<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Cheers,<br>