healeys

[Healeys] Rocker Cover Poll

Subject: [Healeys] Rocker Cover Poll
From: bspidell at comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2018 07:25:29 -0700
I had a hard time getting my BJ8's cover to seal; even destroying one
trying.? I finally figured out the top of the head, where the cover
sits, appears to slope off a little on the front/right corner.? Here's
what finally sealed things up for me:

1) glue the gasket to the cover (I use 3M Weatherstrip Adheisve; aka
'yellow snot,' also comes in black)

2) run a thin bead of blue RTV silicone on the head-facing side of the
gasket (yeah, I know it's dangerous, but a thin bead carefully applied
has not caused me any problems)

3) let the cover sit on the head for a few minutes to let the bead of
RTV spread gently

4) snug up the nuts - not too tight lest you deform the cover

John's suggestion is excellent, but I don't have any smooth, flat
surface on which to perform the operations.?? Hmmmm ...

Bob