healeys

Speedo Woes '65 BJ8

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Speedo Woes '65 BJ8
From: "Doug Newton" <dnewton@nappco.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:20:06 -0500
Good Morning Group-

My speedometer has been inoperative since I bought my car early this year
and since I needed to remove the trans tunnel, I decided to see what I could
do to rectify the problem. I left the speedo cable screwed into the gauge
and spun the cable between my fingers and the speedometer needle moved as I
moved the cable, so I figured it wasn't the gauge.

I removed the Right Angle Drive from the car to see if I could find anything
that looked bad, but it looked okay as well, so I lubricated the cable, put
everything back together, and drove the car.

The speedometer worked but it didn't register properly; it read about 15 to
20 MPH fast. After 12-15 miles, it quit. It worked again for a few minutes,
but that was the end of that.

I hate to remove the carpet and transmission tunnel to try the same thing
again without some insight; does anyone have a feel for what could possibly
be the matter and what I could do to remedy my problem?

Please advise & thanks- Doug